Do you have a Netgear Router? Read this if you do!

Geoff_T 11:36 25 Aug 03

The following is a copy of a post by one of the Forum Moderators in the UD Cancer Research Forum which some of us PC Advisor readers use.

A number of NETGEAR routers have a firmware problem with their NTP (Network Time Server) code which results in an unintentional DoS (Denial of Service) attack on a public time server: University of Wisconsin-Madison NTP server ntp1.cs.wisc.edu (128.105.39.11).

The NTP server code in the NETGEAR routers is designed to get the current date/time from the above NTP server at pre-determined intervals so their logs contain the correct date & time. The way this has been done is incorrect and results in a flood of requests to the NTP server which it cannot handle properly.

Full details of the problem, it's investigation and it's solution is detailed in Flawed Routers Flood University of Wisconsin Internet Time Server.

The NETGEAR products known to have the problem are: RP614v2 ( v5.13 ), RP614 ( v4.14 ), MR814 ( v4.13 ), DG814 ( v4.8 ) and HR314 (not available).

Updated firmware to fix this problem is available from Resolution of the NETGEAR NTP Issue and the earliest firmware version where the fix has been done is given in brackets above - if a later version exists for download, it should be used in place of the above versions.

It is recommended that all owners of the above products update the firmware as soon as possible. Please follow the instructions for firmware updates included with your device as each will differ. On some or all models the configuration information may be reset to default values so make sure you have all details saved / to hand to reconfigure after the firmware upgrade. This also applies to the user/password to access the device so make sure you know what the default for these is.

Where possible this info should be posted on other message boards so as many owners of the devices can be informed and this problem can be reduced/eradicated.

Forum Editor 11:47 25 Aug 03

Just the kind of information that is worthy of the widest possible audience.

jazzypop 12:06 25 Aug 03

I didn't see the link to the original report from University of Wisconsin in the excellent post above. For those who want the full story, click here

Thanks for the posting, Geoff_T - the DG814 is one of Netgear's most popular ADSL routers, I'll make sure that I spread the word to the many people I have recommended to buy this model.

Geoff_T 21:56 27 Aug 03

I've just read Teddington's post about transferring files via a netgear router and it reminded me of this post. So I've bumped it back to the top again.

Geoff

bapiow 18:01 30 Jul 05

Geoff_T Re/Netgear DG834GT and DoS attack.
Have upgraded to firmware V1.01.28 and I am still getting this.

UDP Packet - Source:66.160.191.166,47922 Destination:212.84.104.32,1026 - [DOS]

Any ideas!

bapiow 18:04 30 Jul 05

Forgot this link
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…