Do you have to manually update Norton?

buel 13:36 04 May 10

Hi, i have a friend at work who's Norton anti-virus license has just expired and he isn't too keen on spending a further £25 or whatever it is. I have recommended AVG simply because i have always used it for many years and have yet to have a problem with it, i always update it daily too. I mentioned to my friend this but he was troubled by the thought of having to update it daily/every 2/3/4 days.
I am interested to know whether anti-viruses such as Norton (i've never had anything other than AVG) have to be updated too or are they automatic?
Please can anyone answer this for me?
Thank you in advance!!

Mr Mistoffelees 13:41 04 May 10

With Norton you can choose to update manually or leave it on auto. Auto is best, then it doesn't get forgotten.

northumbria61 13:56 04 May 10

buel - like you I have had AVG running for many years now without any problems.

You then say - "I mentioned to my friend this but he was troubled by the thought of having to update it daily/every 2/3/4 days". You can set a choice of HOW and WHEN to update AVG by going to TOOLS - ADVANCED SETTINGS and making your selection from there.

I can't comment on Norton as I have never used it but I can recommend AVG (I have the full Internet Security Suite for 3 PC's) - your friend could download and run the FREE version of AVG to evaluate it - if he doesn't like it he can uninstall it and it won't cost him a penny !

buel 14:06 04 May 10

Hi, thank you both for that!
Incidentally, i have just been to tools and advanced settings in avg and i am set to update immediately and yet whenever i hover my mouse over the avg icon and right-click and choose 'update now', it usually updates for me. Surely i shouldn't have to choose this option?

Sea Urchin 19:15 04 May 10

That setting simply means that when there is an update available the files will be updated immediately - as opposed to next time the computer restarts which is the other setting just above that.

To make sure you update automatically open the AVG interface - double click Update Manager, and then at the bottom of that screen set a specific time period daily when you would like it to update, and then select the Start Automatic Updates box. Then click Save Changes. But this is the default setting when you install AVG so you are probably already automatically updating it. To the left of those settings you can see the date and time of the last update.

"whenever i hover my mouse over the avg icon and right-click and choose 'update now', it usually updates for me. Surely i shouldn't have to choose this option?"

No you don't need to - whenever you do that it will check the database to see if there are any updates available - but it will not be updating if there are none. Again on the AVG interface at the top left hand corner click on Update Now and you will then see what is happening.

click here

If the PC is not on at the selected time for updates it will update the next time you boot up.

buel 17:18 06 May 10

Hey thanks for that, the advice here has been fantastic!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac