Do you have to have a TV license with a TV Card?

Blanc Glacier 12:41 11 Oct 04

Hi guys
I dont know if this sounds stupid or not but I have been informed by a number of different resouces that when using a TV Card you dont need to buy a TV license. Is this true?
I personally think that you would still need one as you are still transmitting a signal.
If someone could put some light on this then it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Steve.

Pesala 12:52 11 Oct 04

However, the jury is still out on whether you need one to watch TV programs streamed through the internet. I have found nothing on the BBC website to indicate that you do.

VoG II 12:52 11 Oct 04

Yep - found this click here (and plenty of others aimed at students).

woody147 13:07 11 Oct 04

why not simply buy all the old 'fools and horses' tapes, the, err 'highlights' of ground-force and changing rooms/DIY makeover etc. and you have 90% of what's on anyway.
save yourself £120 :-))

woody147 13:12 11 Oct 04

sorry... I forgot to mention Bargain hunt/Treasure in the Attic/Bargain Busters/Antiques R us/Auction Challenge.
oh...and Eastenders.

Blanc Glacier 13:18 11 Oct 04

Thanks Woody147 for your suggestions. I many actually do that!

Thanks for everyone that replied. Oh and good link "VoG"

Regards

Steve

Sethhaniel 14:04 11 Oct 04

you are covered for any additional tv/recievers used in same house - ;)

JonnyTub 14:06 11 Oct 04

straight from then horses mouth click here

Noelg23 14:27 11 Oct 04

people seem to think you wont need a licence with a TV card...I had one about 3yrs ago and I applied for a licence but I must have sent about 5 forms and no reply came back saying it had been done...instead they were sending it to the previous tenant and saying he could be liable for a fine. I just didnt bother after that...and I lived in the flat for over a year! so no matter what other people say...get a licence...no matter how much you try to evade it!

Noelg23 14:27 11 Oct 04

people seem to think you wont need a licence with a TV card...I had one about 3yrs ago and I applied for a licence but I must have sent about 5 forms and no reply came back saying it had been done...instead they were sending it to the previous tenant and saying he could be liable for a fine. I just didnt bother after that...and I lived in the flat for over a year! so no matter what other people say...get a licence...no matter how much you try to evade it!

Stuartli 14:38 11 Oct 04

If it is your only source of TV viewing, yes.

If you already own a TV (and virtually 100 per cent of the population does) then the answer is no.

If you are away from home and stay for some time in the UK at premises where there is no TV and therefore no TV licence is held (you may own a caravan or a holiday home), then you will need a TV licence to cover those premises for a computer system/laptop if you take it with you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…