Do you have a Dual CPU PC?

Dorsai 21:24 16 Jul 05

If you do, what are the specs?

What did it cost?

Also, why did you get/make it?

Idle curiosity, with a hint of wanting one for myself, and a tad of liking to know what the reason and price was.

niknax 21:35 16 Jul 05

click here

this will give you a good idea of spec & costs..i'm thinking of getting one for a digital print set-up

Dorsai 21:56 16 Jul 05

I am thinking of building one, a dual CPU PC that is.....

Using as a basic starting point 2 Athlon MP 2400+ CPU's and an asus A7M266-D board.

Just looking for anyone who might have experiance with building a Dual CPU PC.

I have built single CPU PC's before, but never a Dualie...

De Marcus 21:57 16 Jul 05

At home I have a small 3.8ghz shuttle (overclocked), at work (my bedroom/office)I have Dual Intel Pentium 4 Xeon 3.0GHz 800FSB w/ EM64T
Asus NCCH-DL Dual Xeon 800 4GB DDR400 3xRaptor, 10,000RPM 74GB HDD's, it's a very high end machine, no less than £2800 inc vat when bought :-( I've only had it for 3 and a half weeks and I'm extremely pleased with it.

It's mainly used for editing video in real time and also for designing realistic 3d models for games companies using maya, etc. I had thought about a MAC setup but decided the learning curve would cost too much in time and money, I havent ruled it out though, I'm looking into a mac mini to see if I can get my head around the workings of apple's offerings as it seems between me and my colleagues I'm the only one still using windows.

Anyone wanting to know what maya is and can do are welcome to peruse my tutorials click here old site click here a work in progress, with which I shall be posting on shortly in the web design forum.

P.S. I'd only recommend getting a dual cpu setup if a) you can really afford it (I scraped for several months) b) your actually going to use it to it's full potential.

Dorsai 22:12 16 Jul 05

Thanks, De Marcus.

That gives me an idea of what one costs, what you got for the money, and why you got it.

Thats what I'm looking for. Cheers.

Forum Editor 22:20 16 Jul 05

Many software companies haven't made up their minds about the licencing aspects of running their products on dual-processor machines, but it's looking as if at least some of them are going to be charging for two licences, and unless you pay up you will not be able to make the installation.

De Marcus 22:26 16 Jul 05

I must admit FE my sys builder warned me about this but I kinda put it to the sideline, luckily I haven't had any problems so far but I think I might have a job convincing the MD to pay twice over for the same thing!!

Dorsai 22:32 16 Jul 05

Thanks for the advice, but the only software I intend to run on the intended Build will be Xp Pro, which is a dual CPU supporting OS, and Seti-Boinc.

How can they justify the complaint though. It's Only one PC?

De Marcus 23:34 16 Jul 05

I think software companies will fall flat on their face where this dual licencing is concerned, you'd only be running one instance of the software and therefore should only be required to pay for one licence, regardless of how many cpu's are installed (to my thinking anyway).

I've just emailed my MD regarding this and she replied with and I quote:

"Not a chance in hell, if need be we can revert to a single cpu setup and wait until the powers that be consider the implications of trying to essentially charge twice over for our software installations. If you have any info on anything we use that might be propositioned as being being dual licenced, I'd appreciate you letting me know as we haven't heard anyting yet and I will consider putting this to the board

sent by: e-prompter inc"

I can't but help feel her sentiments are exactly right, why pay for software twice over?

De Marcus 00:09 17 Jul 05

P.s I'll apologise for my previous second link not working, I've had 2.8gb of traffic in the last few days and my bandwidth has been exceeded.

powerless 00:24 17 Jul 05

That's the first i've heard of that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…