Do new partitions remain after reinstall?

Ian in Northampton 09:05 AM 03 Jan 13
Answered

I think I know the answer to this, but thought I'd better check... I have a Windows 7 system that I'm planning to upgrade ;-) to XP. Before I do so, I plan to take advantage of W7 to divide the 1TB disk into more useful partitions. I'm right in thinking, aren't I, that the partitions will remain when I boot from the XP CD, and XP will just find the C: partition and install itself there?

Chronos the 2nd 09:32 AM 03 Jan 13
Answer

Yes they will,in fact when you will be able to choose the partition that you install XP on, much the same if you were installing a second OS as in dual booting.

Ian in Northampton 09:39 AM 03 Jan 13

Cool - thanks Chronos.

onthelimit1 09:40 AM 03 Jan 13

Just for interest, why are you going back to XP?

Ian in Northampton 17:51 PM 03 Jan 13

I have two PCs that I use regularly - one for work (I work from home a lot) and one for personal stuff. The work one I specifically chose as a W7 machine as I wanted to get to grips with the new OS in a way you only can if you're having to use it seriously. However, through many years of use and familiarity, I still feel much more comfortable with XP, and that's what I have on my personal PC: it does everything I want and I can easily find what I need. (There are many things that are good about W7, but the thing I dislike most is that the things it does that XP has done are hidden in a different place. There are also numerous other small gripes as well.) I'll persevere with W7, but I have to be honest and say I find it a struggle. Perhaps, knowing that I always have XP to fall back on, I'm not trying hard enough...

Ian in Northampton 17:56 PM 03 Jan 13

By the way - the partitioning and reinstall went fine. After a fashion... I have no idea what happened, but the XP install was a nightmare. I can't exactly remember now, but somehow, when the install began, I had a 100MB C: drive, then a 500MB D: drive and a 490MB E: drive. As the C: partition wasn't big enough, I was forced to install on the D: drive. I'm not sure if that was significant, but when XP went to restart during the install process, I got the error "Error loading operating system". I did a lot of messing about in the BIOS, and ended up deleting the C partition - and, finally, somehow the XP installation worked. I have no idea whether the repartitioning I did was relevant to my reinstall problems, or whether it was something completely different. Anyway: everything seems OK now (this is being written on the 'new' machine).

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay