Do I still need my McAfee firewall

VoG II 19:17 17 Jan 04

Evening all!

I recently installed a Belkin 54g wireless router to enable daughter's new laptop (via Belkin PCMCIA card) to access the internet through my desktop machine's Blueyonder cable modem. The router has a firewall.

I have McAfee Firewall Plus installed on my desktop machine and normally I just let it get on with things. Tonight I was about to respond to another thread and was going to post how many thousand "hits" it had received since I last looked (some weeks ago). Three since installing the router just over a week ago. Hmm.

The laptop has Norton Internet Security installed (my excuse is that there was an offer at PCW and, actually, it has been painless - so far!). Not a single firewall warning/ alert to my knowledge - if there had been I'm sure I'd have heard the familiar cry "Dad, my 'puter ...".

So do you think I can safely dispense with McAfee firewall when my subscription expires? Similarly with Norton in about a year's time and just install a free AV on the laptop.

No hurry for response - McAfee subscription is due for renewal in July.

woodchip 19:22 17 Jan 04

If I was you I would leave it, unless it causes problems as you are on a network

Big Elf 19:22 17 Jan 04

You've probably spotted that I have limited i.e. non existent knowledge on the subject so this is just a guess.

Others have posted that software firewalls tend to 'overreact' to the simplest things. Maybe the hardware solutions are more honest?

spikeychris 19:23 17 Jan 04

The wireless router should be a good enough firewall on it's own. You could still go for the extras though if you want but you don't need them.

Jester2K 19:23 17 Jan 04

Are you worried about "Messenger Service Port Attacks"?? ;-)

woodchip 19:24 17 Jan 04

Change over to free ones ZoneAlarm and AVG

powerless 19:29 17 Jan 04

Vogster, computers will see your Router and not what is connected to it*.

i.e. Blaster worm, cannot RPC the router.

Me = No firewall.

*I think spikey said that?

VoG II 20:48 17 Jan 04

Thanks all, you've confirmed my opinion.

Jester2K - yes, trembling (and ROFLMFAO).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…