Do I still need a firewall?

mikeyb59 15:13 16 May 03

I run 3 pc's on NTL BB through a wireless router. The pc's all have sygate firewall installed which sometimes causes me problems with networking.

I have just had the system checked using the Grisoft site and got EXACTLY the same results with or without the firewall.

Does this mean the router acts as a firewall and additional protection is not required?

Your views please

TIA Mike

Mango Grummit 15:25 16 May 03

click here and make your own judgment. Homeusers do need a firewall but really are not in much danger as they are not top targets.

But it keeps us amused and occupied to discuss it when we are bored.

fitshase 15:26 16 May 03

I use a wireless router (Netgear FM114P) which has a built in firewall which is configured via a web-browser interface. If you have this, and a software firewall, you could experience problems.

I just use the router's firewall and not any other software firewall (including WinXP's firewall) and it passes the tests thrown at it by the various firewall test sites.

Regards

Fitshase

Belatucadrus 15:28 16 May 03

What sort of tests were run by Grisoft ? I trust them to advise on antivirus but firewalls aren't what they concentrate on. For some other firewall test pages try click here or click here

Squall 15:28 16 May 03

The results that you got were probably both scans of the router, rather than one of the PC's attached to it. Thats why there was no difference in the results.

mikeyb59 15:29 16 May 03

Tried your link. Told me my computer is invulnerable to outside attack. Test was done with and without firewall. Do I really need one?

mikeyb59 15:31 16 May 03

I have a Netgear MR314 router and all tests I have done have returned identical results with or without the software firewall.

I can only assume that apart from the irritating networking problems the software firewall has no effect.

Mango Grummit 15:34 16 May 03

I'm clear with ZoneAlarm.. download it and you will be safe!

AVG as mentioned above is an entirely different issue and in any event is not reliable!

regards, M

John-259217 15:36 16 May 03

Its worth remembering that a properly configured software firewall works on outbound communication from your PC not just incoming "attacks", a router will not prevent private info, such as that recorded by some cookies from being sent out.

Pauper 15:39 16 May 03

A router firewall will give good protection against programs trying to connect with the pc's from the internet, a software firewall however will also give control and protection, where necessary, against rougue programs trying to 'phone home from the pc's.

Pauper 15:40 16 May 03

m73john - if only I could type quicker :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…