Do I still have a virus?

astral traveller 09:12 10 Apr 04

AVG discovered a Trojan Horse virus a few days ago. It healed one file and quarantined another which I deleted. Today I have found that every time I launch a program e.g. Internet explorer that Ms project installation program starts - Is this a coincidental glitch or is the Trojan still at work? I have been running the AVG complete test everyday. O/S = XP Home.

astral traveller 12:31 10 Apr 04

My AVG databse is up to date (as of yesterday). I am also running Sygate personal firewall set to normal.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:52 10 Apr 04

I dont know what that is ,but have you turned system restore of and scanned could be lurking there.

Regards.

spuds 12:54 10 Apr 04

Something on here may help click here

astral traveller 16:24 10 Apr 04

Don't want to appear thick, but how do you turn off system restore and how will that help?

johnnyrocker 16:30 10 Apr 04

sys restore are hidden files and a virus scan will not get rid, right click my computer/system restore and put in or remove the tick as appropriate and run another scan.

johnny.

lucky1 16:34 10 Apr 04

Accessories/System Tools/Select System Restore. To the left you will see a box with System Restore Settings, click on this. This will, in the first pane under 'General', show a box to disable System Restore, tick this. Run your scan with SR disable as viruses can become caught in restore points. Remember to enable System Restore once you're finished.

astral traveller 20:21 10 Apr 04

I switched off system restore and ran AVG again but it found no virus. I then ran Spybot which found loads of adware which I deleted. Problem seems to be solved i.e. Ms Project installation no longer starting everytime I launch IE.
Jobs a good 'un. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…