Do I really need Windows genuine advantage again?

hiwatt 11:01 07 May 08

Hi folks,I've already installed WGA on my computer but when going to windows updates it 's telling me to use windows update I first have to install the latest version of some windows components.It's windows genuine advantage tool.Again.Why do I have to keep installing this and has anyone else had this too?Thanks.

anskyber 11:04 07 May 08

Yep, a few times, it's an update and without it you will not get Windows updates.

hiwatt 11:14 07 May 08

Let's be honest here.It's really spyware,isnt it?

johnnyrocker 11:16 07 May 08

not so

johnny

recap 11:17 07 May 08

It's Microsofts way of making sure you have a license for their products.

hiwatt 11:26 07 May 08

I think it's a bit unfair having to continually install this piece of software before being allowed to receive important updates.Rant over.

ambra4 12:50 07 May 08

It's Mr Gates way of taking your money out of your pocket, by making sure you buy a

new copy of Windows XP / Vista for every computer that you have

You don’t own the software, all you own is the CD, as he is only allowing you the use of

his crap Vista OS on one desktop & one laptop computer and you must use IE to access

the Internet and Windows Media Player to play your audio & view your video files.

dth 12:59 07 May 08

Rather than go to the windows.update site if you change your setting to notify you of updates, you get the option of whether or not to install the windows genuine advantage. If you select 'no' you can still install the other (actually needed) updates.

That is what I usually do as I just don't like the idea of ms trying to force wga on us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…