Do I really need Microsoft anti-spyware?

CurlyWhirly 18:49 23 Jul 05

I currently use the a-squared trojan scanner (Personal version), Ad-aware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster.

Is this enough spyware 'protection' or should I really download and install the Microsoft anti-spyware (beta) application as well or would this be going OTT?
If it *is* advisable to install it does anyone know if it would conflict with any of the above programs?

p.s. I *do* have an anti-virus and firewall by the way just in case anybody was wondering.
Cheers.

stalion 18:52 23 Jul 05

personal choice it should not conflict with what you have, you don't really need it

mattyc_92 18:55 23 Jul 05

It is not really needed.... With the rest of the programs you already have, I find it hard to believe that one more program would make a difference...

And no, it shouldn't be a problem alongside the other programs you have installed.

octal 18:55 23 Jul 05

Have you read this in Speakers Corner? click here

CurlyWhirly 18:56 23 Jul 05

Thanks for your prompt reply.

It's just that I read in a security article that malware is beginning to use rootkits that attempt to avoid detection and Microsoft's application *may* in the future incorporate a feature that can detect them hence my query.

Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 23 Jul 05

Yes its all down to personal choice

I use MSAntispy and spyware blaster on my new machine and on the old one blaster plus adaware and spybot.

CurlyWhirly 19:00 23 Jul 05

No I haven't read that article but I have just had a quick glance and it seems that the application might not be as good as I thought.
Hence I will give it a miss for now but I will wait and see what happens.
Thanks to everyone who replied.

stalion 19:03 23 Jul 05

I am sure the anti-virus,anti-spyware companies are aware of the new threats and will act accordingly.Don't worry be happy
Regards

octal 19:08 23 Jul 05

That article highlights the value of using independent anti virus/spyware programs.

rotormota 20:00 23 Jul 05

Hi,

I think it is fair comment to say that you simply cannot have enough anti-spyware progs. In the 'old days' viruses were the threat but now it's trojans & malware.

I would say get the MS free download. I have Spybot, A2, MS, Ewido, Norton, Bazooka, Stinger, AVG, Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, Xsoftspy & Webroot.

Call me paranoid but they all pick up different gremlins.

Regards,
J

rotormota 20:03 23 Jul 05

& Adaware!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…