Do I really need it?

denali 16:17 12 Sep 04

I will probably be shot down in flames for having the temerity to ask this question. Do I really need SP1?
I have only been using XP Pro for roughly three weeks. A few problems initially but with help from the forum every thing worked perfectly. Two weeks ago I installed SP1. From the moment I restarted my PC I had nothing but trouble. It would freeze regularly, would not access the Windows update site and numerous other little problems. I went to an XP forum and the concensus was to remove it. I did this last Tuesday and my machine is, and has, been behaving perfectly. It may be a coincidence but I am loathe to believe that because I now have a machine that does everything I ask without sulking. I have all Norton installed, NIS etc. does this offer enough protection without SP1? Thank you for any suggestions.

stalion 16:22 12 Sep 04

it has to be your decision as to whether you load it or not but if you are having loads of trouble when installed leave it.Just make sure you have a good firewall and anti-virus running.

denali 16:32 12 Sep 04

stalion. Thank you for your advise. It appears to be the logical answer. I have always been an avid reader of VOG'S advice warning about installing everything we see. Maybe this is a case in point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…