do i need windows oem or full retail?

andrew-196854 20:23 07 Oct 05

thinking of building a new system which version of the above will i need ?

Belatucadrus 20:29 07 Oct 05

OEM supplied via such as ebuyer will be much cheaper, without Microsoft support and once registered tied to the machine it's installed to. None of which seemed a problem to me when I did my homebuilt, so I went OEM.

mbp 21:14 07 Oct 05

If you ever developed a conflict,(which I have) in your OS and would like to reformat you OS, or repair some fault, it is straight forward with a full retail version. With an OEM it is a nightmare unless you know how to make an Image and then recopy all your programs back to your reinstalled OEM OS from reinstall CD's losing all your other data that you have not backed up. The extra cost is worth that peace of mind, if it is your own computer and you do not like hassles and you are not an IT Whizz kid.

alan227 21:17 07 Oct 05

I agree with Belatucadrus, I have built abot 10 computers for friends and relatives and have put an OEM version on all of them.
The full retail version can be transfered to another machine provided you have wiped it of the previous computer, the OEM version cannot as was said above it is tied to one computer.

Totally-braindead 21:53 07 Oct 05

I also agree with Belatucadrus, the OEM version is the full version and the only thing as others have said is its tied to the machine. Considering its half the price the OEM is the better value.

woodchip 22:11 07 Oct 05

OEM and Retail are just the same. Only with OEM you have no help from Microsoft when XP does not play ball

GaT7 22:13 07 Oct 05

If price is not an issue, I'd get the retail.

OEM, if you're on a budget - you could spend the amount saved on a better CPU/monitor/etc.

I've done an install & one reinstall with an OEM WinXP disk with no problems. G

andrew-196854 22:24 07 Oct 05

thanks for the feedback

Stuartli 23:28 07 Oct 05

OEM is usually supplied by a system builder who is responsible for support.

A retail version brings Microsoft support.

Mr Beeline 14:01 03 Nov 05

I see that EBUYER no longer sells OEM versions of Windows. So I suppose they have finally got round to realising that Microsoft has has changed the licencing agreement.

Mr Beeline 15:18 03 Nov 05

Whoops... talking rubbish (eyesight failing!).

Though how this ties into Microsoft's changes to their O/S licencing agreements is anybodies guess.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…