Do i need Vista Wins Defender?

Phoenix40 01:24 08 Mar 14

Hello on the recommendation of this site i downloaded the antivirus software called Avast which seems to work well at the moment. But i noticed on my Windows Update that im still downloading updates for my Vista Windows Defender which i think is causing my computer to crash after its downloaded the latest update. Then when my computer doesnt start up and does a system repair and restore the computer starts to download the latest windows Defender update again so it keeps causing my computer to crash again. So two things i need to ask do i still need windows Defender? If i dont need it how do i turn it off and stop the window updates keep coming through? Hope someone can help as its irritating me now. I got a feeling its causing an online game to keep crashing the computer now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:31 08 Mar 14

I still use defender as a back up to Avast but its never found anything for years when scanning.

Therefore as you are having problems I suggest you uninstall it.

Phoenix40 18:35 08 Mar 14

Thank you for your reply but i also noticed my Winzip 18 had been uninstalled as well by the system repair and restore setup. So that might be causing the trouble as well when i reinstall it. Is there a free winzip version you can download where you dont have to keep installing it every month? Let me know if you can thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…