Do I need to use a firewall and a cable router?

Glyn-252301 17:44 11 Sep 04

Hi Folk, I am on cable broadband (ntl) and have just fitted a Linksys cable router with 4port switch, O/S Win98se. Looking at an article recently I was surprized to read that I do not need a software firewall when using a router. Now being a cautious sort I thought it best to put this to the forum. Regards G.

Jeffers22 18:06 11 Sep 04

Most, if not all routers have a firewall built in. Either Network Address Translation or Stateful Packet Inspection (or even both). They will do as good a job as say Zone Alarm in terms of preventing intrusion, but they do not by and large check the outgoing stuff. So if you pick up a trojan that sends key stroke logs etc to a miscreants site, many software firewalls will warn you that XYZ prog is trying to access the internet, the router firewall won't.

Maintaining a software firewall if you have a router is IMHO unnecessary if you are careful about where you visit and what emails you open.

I'm running a very similar system to you, Linksys BEFSR41 and 4 PCs - all have software firewalls installed (Outpost - free).

As Jeffers22 mentioned, they let you know about outgoing connections which you may want to shutdown.

Glyn-252301 19:17 11 Sep 04

Many thanks folk, I will carry on using Zone Alarm. Pity though, it would be nice to lose some of those resourse hungry progys. Its good to be able to check out these things so easily on the forum. The article I saw did not mention the outgoing dangers so I was right to be cautious.
Regards G.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now