Do I need to use ethernet cable

chochi 19:04 24 Nov 10

At the moment I have PC connected to Broadband with ethernet cable and laptop connected wirelessly. Going to do away with PC and get another laptop. Does one of them have to be connected with ethernet cable, or can they both be used wirelessly. Probably a silly question, but I'm not too savvy with networking yet.

heymin 20:19 24 Nov 10

You can connect them both wirelessly, but probably best to connect the new laptop with the cable first time then go wireless

mgmcc 08:26 25 Nov 10

You only need to use a "wired" ethernet connection for either the initial configuration of a *ROUTER* or any subsequent changes to its "wireless" settings.

As your router is already set up, you should be able to connect a new Laptop to it wirelessly straight away. Using an ethernet cable wouldn't achieve anything, other than proving that a "wired" connection works.

Cyrilthepost 23:57 25 Nov 10

So mgmcc,your not really wieless if you connected with ethernet cable then?so if i pull that out i'll be wireless then will i.

rdave13 15:25 26 Nov 10

When you get your new laptop it will search for wireless connections automatically. ( Make sure the wireless switch is on). Select your router and type in the security key etc. as with the other laptop. No need to connect it initially with an ethernet cable.

chochi 12:04 27 Nov 10

Thanks for all replies. That helps a lot. Will tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009