do i need to update my bios?

computerdiv 09:11 25 Jan 08

I am building my new pc and have never loaded an o/s system on before. While reading about loding an o/s system, updating the bios was mentioned and I have no idea how to do this as I have not seen it done. I have an ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 eSATA 8channel Audio ATX Motherboard and will be running an intel Q6600 Quad core 2.4ghz processor with win xp pro.

I know that I have to down load the new bios settings from the manufacturers web site and back them up onto a floppy disc, but how do I install them with no o/s system installed?

I have no experience using dos.

Do I even need to bother updating the bios with this mobo?

Quiller. 10:04 25 Jan 08

Don't even think of updating the bios.

On some motherboards, if one mistake is made it can make the motherboard useless. On some motherboards it can be done via windows and is safer.

Compatibility.
Have you checked that the cpu will fit the motherboard?

Quiller. 10:32 25 Jan 08

It needs bios 0603 to run a Q6600. That version was released in July of last year and they have been quite a few new releases. So your motherboard should have at least the 0603 bios.

In the manual it says it comes with ez flash, so this will make it easy IF you have to update the bios. Consult page 4-5 of the manual for instructions. You will not have to use dos and IF you need to download a bios to desktop, you get them from click here

But remember. If the computer sees the cpu at the correct name and speed.

DO NOT flash the bios.

Good luck.

computerdiv 10:39 25 Jan 08

thanks folks. i did some research on the mobo before buying it and was sure it would be ok. just wanted to make sure it would run and you have confirmed that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…