do I need thermal paste

bemuzed 19:27 21 Sep 05

I have got a new motherboard and AMD processor. The processor came with a heat sink and fan. The heat sink has a sticky material on it. Do I still need to add some extra thermal coolin paste, which I do not have and was not supplied in the processor retail box?

bemuzed 19:31 21 Sep 05

Help. I'd appreciate an answer fast as if I need it I'll need to drive to PCWorld before they close. Thanks

mac75 19:41 21 Sep 05

hi,

that sticky stuff is thermal paste, so go ahead and assemble it. good luck.

jim.

Kenneth-266656 19:43 21 Sep 05

Have you read through all the information that came with the processor?. Could be that 'sticky stuff'is for heat transfer - on the other hand it could be just for storage protection. Did it have any covering? If so it's probaly the former but there must be some reference in the info about it. If not play safe and get fresh paste.

bemuzed 20:03 21 Sep 05

it was covered so I guessed it was thermal paste. AMD site talks about phase material. Is that the same thing?

woodchip 20:06 21 Sep 05

The pad should not have plastic over it, if it as remove before fitting so it will stick

Totally-braindead 20:07 21 Sep 05

Yes it is, if the processor you got is a retail pack it should have come with full instructions, is this not the case? Or did you buy a processor and a heatsink and fan seperately?

bemuzed 20:09 21 Sep 05

I bought them together in a retail pack. The instructions say to go to AMD site for Thermal Cooling advice. That is 3 years od and talks about some users wanting thermal compound preapplied to teh heat sink. The instructions with the processor were diagramatic and did not show any additional compouund being squirted in.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 21 Sep 05

The CPUs that com with the sticky pad do not need termal paste, just remove the plastic.

DieSse 21:34 21 Sep 05

The pad is definately the thermal paste equivalent.

It's what's called phase-change material. As it heats up, it chemically changes to provide better heat transfer.

Totally-braindead 12:00 22 Sep 05

Agree with the others there is already thermal paste on the heatsink, you've bought the retail version, just follow the instructions on the sheet paying particular attention to making sure the heatsink is seated properly on top of the CPU. Do this and all will be fine, the AMD instructions are very good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…