Do I need SP1 with XP Pro?

jonmac 08:57 14 Nov 03

I'm about to replace my hard disk and will install XP Pro. I've been told not to bother with SP1 as it will "do nasty things to your machine". Surely there's no alternative to downloading it?
Also previously with 98se I've backed up emails etc by copying the whole of C/Windows/Application Data to a second HD then after a format I've copied the appropriate bits back. Will this work OK with XP?

critic-al 09:02 14 Nov 03

SP1 is an integral part of xp,as other updates require it to be installed
click here

anchor 09:23 14 Nov 03

I recently formatted my hard disc and installed Win-XP pro.

I copied to essential files/folders, (from the previous ME installation), to a second hard disc, and was able to install these on the main XP hard disc without problem.

YES, do install SP1, and then go to Windows update site to check for further updates.

jonmac 10:00 14 Nov 03

Thanks guys. I thought the advice on SP1 sounded a bit misplaced and I'm relieved to hear that the rmail side of things should go OK. I'll still have the old HD with W98 on it available if there are any problems. thanks again

nadal 17:57 14 Nov 03

HI!

JUST CHANGED MOTHER BOARD AND WANT TO UPGRRADE PRINTER - SP1 NEEDED FOR THE USB2

DRIVERS WERE NOT AVAILABLE ON THE MAIN BOARD INSTAL/UTILS CD - BE ADVISED!! BEST REGARDS

Jester2K II 18:24 14 Nov 03

Best to start a new thread - not many people visit resolved threads.

PS DON'T SHOUT!!

PPS Please explain with more details

powerless 18:34 14 Nov 03

nadal is saying that USB2 is not supported in XP. But when he installed SP1 it became supported.

DieSse 21:30 14 Nov 03

If you've just purchsed XP then the CD should come with SP1a on it - this is currently the latest version of the CD. If the CD doesn't say that, then you have been sold an older version.

DieSse 21:32 14 Nov 03

Just to make that totally clear - the lataest version of XP INCLUDES SP1a - not as an add-on or later upgrade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…