Do I need a software Firewall?

JayDay 08:24 16 Dec 05

I have recently moved from a USB ADSL modem to a router/modem which has a hardware firewall.

I have checked my zone alarm logs and noticed that there has been no recorded 'attacks' since I installed the new router.

I then did a security check on-line click here

The results were the same with zone alarm enabled or disabled. It got me thinking, do I need a software firewall? The router seems to do the job well.

sharkfin 08:30 16 Dec 05

Hi, the router firewall works well, but you would also like to see what goes in and out of your system too, right? you could keep zonealarm for this purpose, even if you dont need its protection properties.

Hope this helps

mgmcc 08:44 16 Dec 05

The router's hardware firewall protects you from unwanted intrusions from the internet. It doesn't control which programs in the PC are allowed to access the internet, which Zone Alarm will do.

JayDay 12:06 16 Dec 05

Thanks

Not too worried about what is going out. I have good anti virus and antispyware software. In the 6 years I have been running zone alarm it has never caught anything leaving my PC that I didn't want to leave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…