Do I need Sitehound or am I oversafe as it is ?

Brumas 16:14 26 Oct 05

I run Windows XP home and, taking advice from the forum, think I have enough protection as I have the following NOD32 and ZoneAlarm ; I also have, and regularly run update the following Ad-aware, Spybot, A-squared, Microsoft AntiSpyware , Spyware blaster and IE-Spyad.

I also use, and couldn’t possibly do without a registered copy of MailWasher Pro – they have now offered me the following free utility. click here

“SiteHound is a free toolbar for Internet Explorer and is your first line of defense against internet threats including phishing, scams, spyware, adware, security risks and viruses from rogue websites”.

Do I need this? Or are the currently installed programs already on the case as it were ?

Cheers from a bewildered Brumas!!

Stuartli 16:22 26 Oct 05

You are approaching the stage of paranoia...:-)

I've always used either AVG Free or, more recently, Avast! Add to that Spybot, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware and free ZoneAlarm and that has proved more than sufficient even with broadband.

I do make absolutely sure that all are updated as and when necessary.

Since switching to broadband in April which has meant my system is on virtually 15 hours a day, I've only had one nasty which Avast! quickly nabbed.

spuds 18:46 26 Oct 05

It can get to the point when you are defeating the object with far too many protection programmes installed. If you want to try Sitehound, then do so on a trial basis, but make sure that you can uninstall the programme when the time comes,as some of these programmes can leave things behind in your computer, that you may not want.

The thing like Sitehound toolbar is nothing new,and there are some very similar alternatives available.

Brumas 19:33 26 Oct 05

I am aware that I am able to 'use' a computer without necessarily understanding it's complexities but, more importantly I am only too aware of the pitfalls that can befall anyone silly enough not to have preventative measures in place should said computer malfunction or pick up a virus etc.

What I am not sure of is, the number or type or whether these measures will compliment or clash with each other - that is why I ask :o)

wee eddie 22:43 26 Oct 05

So much of it that he can't move.

But he's safe in there.

Snec 23:03 26 Oct 05

Bewildered Brumas! Great stuff, lol, reminds me of The Twilight Zone, scary parallel worlds.

I'm certain you will feel much safer with Sitehound. I'd get it if I was you.

Stuartli 23:03 26 Oct 05

>> I am aware that I am able to 'use' a computer without necessarily understanding it's complexities>>

The vast majority of people who drive have no idea how a car engine works but it doesn't stop them using the vehicle successfully.

The measures you have now would appear to complement/work in harmony with each other and should be more than sufficient.

Brumas 23:04 26 Oct 05

I shall not download SiteHound and I have now removed SpyBot, I wouldn't want to be counter-productive!

josie mayhem 00:27 27 Oct 05

Are you sure that he is in there?

I just get my can opener!

Joking apart, I have a small home network of 2 desktops and 1 laptop. the protection I use for this all have there individual firewall turned off, and rely on the firewall on my modem/router. Each have installed AVG, and one of the desktops also has A-squared installed.

And I've never been had a problem (touch wood...) unless you include the irritation that A-squared that seems to throw up, suspect trogen on a msn activity and do I want do... one of three things concerning this, and it's even accused man of being a Trojan of several occasions.

But realistically, the only problem with over protection could be confects between the different applications. can cause major head-aches. My suggestion keep it simple, keep it minimum.

interzone55 08:52 27 Oct 05

I think some people are over reacting to the potential threats that exist out there in Internet land.

Some people on these forums think that Firewalls are unnecessary for general web surfing, and I tend to agree. If you have a broadband router then you don't need a separate software firewall, all it will do is use up CPU cycles.

There is also no need to pay for virus protection, Avast or AVG will do a perfectly good job of protecting a home PC from nasties.

Spyware seems to be a problem for many users, the answer to this is Firefox or Opera, I've used Firefox from it's original Pheonix beta and have not had a single spyware problem in two years, despite tempting fate by using torrent and warez sites.

I have Spybot S & D and AdAware, which I run every now & again. They only ever come up with "suspect" cookies, which I'm still to be convinced are a threat. How can a simple plain text file be a danger to anyone? These get deleted every time I clear out my internet cache.

Installing more programs will just place more load on your PC, clog up your registry and provide potential for conflicts.

I used to work in the service centre of a large PC manufacturer, we used to get PCs back on a regular basis because windows was slow and / or crashing, upon checking, more often than not the problem was down to too much software loading at startup, normally several spy-ware stoppers, and quite often people would have two or even three AV programs running - just because they're free doesn't mean you should use more than one AV program.

ok, point made, I'll shut up now & get some work done.

Alan

Jdoki 09:01 27 Oct 05

Absolutely agree with alan14

There is such as a thing as being overprotected. And there's always the chance, no matter how many AV or Spyware programs a person runs that a new threat could get through before the multitude of software gets updated...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…