Do I need a router or modem/router?

Gigs 14:23 12 Mar 05

I have a desktop running WinXP pro and Wanadoo broadband. With this is a Thompson Speedtouch modem.
My wife has a Toshiba 490CDT notebook which also has WinXP pro and we want to be able to share the broadband on that.
Do I need a modem/router or just a router and wireless connection on her notebook?
Which model would I require?
Thanks.
I am logging off now for a short while but will be back on line later.
Thanks in advance
gigs

Forum Editor 14:58 12 Mar 05

but you might as well buy a router/modem combination. Your wife's laptop will need either a PCMCIA card-type wireless adapter or one of the many external USB adapters that are available - don't worry about make, there will be no compatibility issues.

You can either leave your PC connected to the router via the cable that will be supplied with it (for setup purposes), or you can go wireless as well, and install a PCI card adapter, or a USB adapter. If you opt for USB adapters make sure you run the software first, before you plug in the adapter.

Once the router is up and running you can access the internet via either of the computers without the need for the other one to be on.

When you're happy that all is well, give some thought to securing your wireless network - there will be instructions with the router.

Gigs 16:04 12 Mar 05

FE
Thank you very much for that advice. I will do as you suggest and go for the combined one.

Regards

Gigs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…