Do I need a router?

PaulCrane 12:41 25 Mar 09

I’ve just sent back my rather expensive Linsys n router because of an appalling lack of range and am now thinking about using a powerline network, with a wireless adapter from that in the room I mainly want my wireless.

But I also want to be able to connect at the desk in my study by an ethernet conenction.

What I had before was a connection from my cable modem to my wireless router and from there a cable to my desktop. The laptop then connected wirelessly (although only in the next room).

Would I need a router still with a powerline network, i.e. cable modem to router and then one cable to my powerline adapter and one to my desktop? Can I get one that doesn’t have wireless or am I as well off buying a cheap wireless router and using that?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

PaulC

mgmcc 13:01 25 Mar 09

If you want to have "wireless" connectivity then you will need a wireless router. If there is only one computer involved, you could actually use a "Wireless Access Point", but stand-alone Wireless Access Points tend to be more expensive than wireless routers, which incorporate a Wireless Access Point, so there is no merit in using a stand-alone W.A.P.

You could use a powerline setup without a router if again there is only the one computer involved and if you didn't need "wireless" connectivity.

PaulCrane 14:03 25 Mar 09

There will be two computers involved. What I'm taliking about in the second room is a wireless access point that plugs into the powerline network. I don't know how to link but it's here.

click here

From what you're saying though, I need a router of some form or other as soon as a second computer is involved.

PaulC

Tech Guy 18:14 25 Mar 09

I'm just wondering what you mean by "appalling lack of range"?

I have to use a netgear N AP, as with sky and have to use thier router (with wireless turned off). I get massive range with the speed to match. I can use it all over house at close to wired speed and even in the garage which is at the bottom of the garden, about 30 metres from house.

mgmcc 19:21 25 Mar 09

For two computers to connect to the internet simultaneously, you will need a Router. Every computer in a network must have a unique IP address and, as the ISP only allocates one address, the first computer to connect gets this address and the second cannot get an IP address or get online.

With a Router, it is the Router which gets the single IP address from the ISP and it in turn allocates addresses to all computers connected to it. The addresses it allocates are in one of the address ranges reserved for use in Local Area Networks (most commonly a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address) and it then "routes" the internet traffic to the appropriate computer in the network.

PaulCrane 08:33 26 Mar 09

Thanks for that mgmcc, I though so but wanted to check before spending any more money.

On range, the router was in the study, in the corner of my house and in there I got a full strength signal. In my lounge, the next room over, it dropped to moderate to poor, depending where in the room I sat. It certainly didn’t cover all my house or reach the garden at all.

The placing may not have been ideal (it’s where the cable internet comes in) but my detached neighbour's wireless g network on the other hand reaches the entirely of my house and only drops to poor on the very far side.

Strawballs 12:27 26 Mar 09

Does your house have very thick walls because I have an ordinary Linksys wrt54g router 5yrs old and I can use the laptop anywhere in the house, garden and even at the back of the house over the road.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…