Do I need Norton Internet Security?

B1ggles 20:29 30 Jan 05

I have had NAV for two or three years and have had no problem with it, apart from problems if I actually want any support from Symantec, that is.

But my renewal's coming up and I'll also be getting a new PC soon, so it's a good time to reconsider my options.

As I am on broadband, with a hardware firewall in my router (Allied Telesyn), and as I prefer to decide for myself what is spam and what isn't rather than let a piece of software do it, is there any advantage to be gained from going to Norton Internet Security (or the equivalent from another firm) or would I do just as well to keep it simple and stay with Anti Virus?

VoG II 20:33 30 Jan 05

Personally I would ditch Norton and go for AVG click here

Things get through my router's firewall. If you want a free firewall ZoneAlarm is as good as any in my opinion click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:35 30 Jan 05

1. Norton is a resource hog

2. the number of posts we get on here regarding norton is unbelievable (glad you had no problems)

3. why pay for what you can get free?

Anti Virus :-
Avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here
Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here

Firewalls :-
Kerio4 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Internet trace cleanup :-
CleanUp click here
System Wiper click here
Crap Cleaner click here

Spam Killers :-
AvirMail click here
Spam Weasel click here
Mailwasher click here
SpamPal click here

Startup Managers:-
WinPatrol click here

mattyc_92 20:36 30 Jan 05

"Spam e-mail" is like "junk letters" through your letter box...

I have norton internet security and I find it to be very useful... It has a pop-up blocker, advertising blocker, parental controls, firewall, plus a few more features...

I would get it if you download alot or if you are on the interent alot (also if you have kids in the house or visit who go onto the computer, they wont be able to go onto chat rooms, sexual websites, etc.. unless you want them to)

The firewall is the best I have ever had.... Hasn't let me down so far...

mattyc_92 20:39 30 Jan 05

sure there is enough links in your post there... lol

citadel 21:10 30 Jan 05

If the other av progams had as many users as norton there would people reporting problems with them. there are a number of complaints about avg.

GaT7 21:20 30 Jan 05

I'm using NIS2003 (subs expired in Dec04) - retained the firewall component but moved on to AVG as my AV. (The firewall still holds it's own against Symantec's own online security scan click here.)

NIS isn't that much of a resource hog as many say it is - I used avast! for a few days & it actually used up more resources, & it is only antivirus! (I'm on Win98se with 384Mb RAM - only upgraded to 512Mb about 6 months ago. Used NIS for 1&1/2 years with 384Mb, & the upgrade hardly made a difference.)

After uninstalling NAV (& adding AVG) have to say folders/files open up noticeably quicker & the system runs faster. G

THE TERMINATOR 21:28 30 Jan 05

I agree with mattyc_92, regarding NIS. I have had Norton for 4 years now. I've suffered from no virus on my drive, no hijack on IE, and Ad-aware only ever removes data miners. My opinion is this. NIS will not cease to function because it is run by Symantec, whereas a free virus checker or firewall could collapse tomorrow, leaving you with a potential timebomb on your drive....TT

Bleep 21:41 30 Jan 05

Have used Norton for 5 years never one problem, as for yoyu original question yes it would be advisable to keep NIS with your new set us you will be better covered than relying on the firewall in your router.

Rather than being bombared with 'free to use software fans boy's who dont actually atempt to answer your question and just premote the fact they have a free alternative, why not look for comparitive reviews of the respective firewall in your router

jakimo 21:48 30 Jan 05

Norton is known to slow down OS's,and you pay for the privilege,I dropped them 3 years ago,and have since like thousands of others use avg & zone-alarm without any problems.

sattman 22:10 30 Jan 05

Beware installation of AVG 7 is causing major problems for many users at this time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…