Do I need a new firewall?

Alexander P 15:49 21 Jul 03

I've recently got an ADSL broadband connection. I have enabled the on-board firewall that comes with my XP operating system. Do I really need to install another firewall, such as the Zone Alarm one that we can download free from this web site?

Giant68 16:32 21 Jul 03

The simple answer is yes. XP firewall only works in one direction, inward. It will not stop any transmission out. You will be much better protected by a seperate firewall, such as ZoneAlarm, Kerio personal firewall etc...

Giant68

Tuff Guy 16:53 21 Jul 03

Hi Alexanda, like you I have Broadband.I have tried XP's own firewall, Norton & Zone Alarm Pro. I can only speak for myself but I find Zone Alarm the best. Easy to configure & use you just need patience to get it "trained"
regards, Max

Alexander P 16:56 21 Jul 03

Thanks. Are there any quirks or wrinkles about Zone Alarm that I should be aware of?

bennyc 17:02 21 Jul 03

I only has limited updates, but apart from that its great. It detects program setting automatically, with out any bother.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…