do I need more RAM? please help

di 10:43 07 Nov 03

some advice please
I have just installed an all-in-one printer/copier/scanner, when I was installing it a message came up to say I didn’t have enough RAM but it was still ok to install it.

I have used it for a few weeks now with no problems whatsoever, my question is am I going to get trouble in the future if I don’t get some more RAM?, my computer was bought in 98, I haven’t had much trouble from it so far, I have 64 Mb DIMM superfast S-DRAM if that means anything to you??? I am not very up on technical things, I dont use my computer for games, I mainly use it to write letters, simple accounts, scanning and printing photos and other things like a roomdesigner and needlepoint programme, and of course the internet,what I would like to know is, do I need more ram, how and where do I get it, and how much will it cost me,
I hope there is someone out there who can help me, I hate going into shops and being blinded by science!

thanks for your help.
di

TBH1 10:50 07 Nov 03

for what its worth, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - - - Though saying that, 64mb is a little low nowadays.
Have a look at click here - - -type in your details and it will tell you what type you need.Make sure you click on the correct country at the top left hand side. You can buy from here as well, and I have heard very few complaints about them .

dth 10:54 07 Nov 03

If your p/c is working fine then you don't need to do anything.

di 07:08 08 Nov 03

for your quick response, I will take your advice and leave well alone
di

JIM 08:45 08 Nov 03

I was not going to comment as you seemed quite happy( leave well alone di)

Reading your post and even running Win98 i would say you are low in memory and if keeping your system would definitely upgrade.

More so as you are using an all-in-one printer/copier/scanner as photo's,do use it up.

The difference of an exra 128mb min added would give your system a hell of a boost to what you already have.Plus the fact you are now using update hardware/software which was not around in 1998.

If you are thinking of a "new system" shortly or even a "new base unit" i would leave as it is. Your type of ram i believe would cost a bit more. 60+Pounds for 128mb to 135+pounds for 256mb if using EDO modules 168-pin DIMM.

Though existing 1998 system going well, there components may or could let you down at some stage before getting value from new but older type memory.Then you may cuss :)Saying that my 1995, 133mhz system with 32mb of ram is still going strong(very slowly)

Jim

Stuartli 09:00 08 Nov 03

The more RAM the better and it's extremely inexpensive these days.

But make sure that it is compatible with the type you already have installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…