Do i need more ram? Advice would be very welcome

JEFoord 21:31 25 Jul 03

Hi
Ihave just installed a new printer and since i have done so i am having difficulty getting connected through aol. when the printer is unpluged (like now) aol runs fine, just like before i added the printer. i phoned aol to see if they could help and they took me to aol system information where it said "ram 64mb(100%load). they told me i need more ram to run both together properly. i have a 5 year old packard bell, windows 98, 450mhz pentium 3, 64mb ram. do you think increasing the ram would help me out or are aol talking crap, could there be any other possible solutions? Any advice would very gratefully recieved.
Many thanks
John

Holographic_man 21:44 25 Jul 03

The price of ram is so cheap now, I would give it a try, what have you to loose? click here

Djohn 21:50 25 Jul 03

Windows 98 and a large program such as AOL will benefit from more RAM than you have at present.As you say yourself, before new printer and even now with it disconnected the system runs fine.

Also closing down any programs that are not required, clearing your Temp. files and de-frag of the drive will help. J.

zanwalk 22:28 25 Jul 03

Definitely fit more RAM, it is one of the most cost effective upgrades you can buy, and you will immediately notice the difference.

64Mb is very low by todays standards, I run W98 on 512Mb RAM.

woodchip 22:35 25 Jul 03

You would be better with more ram at least 128mb but that's not the problem you have got. AOL it talking rubbish. My gess is you are running a HP printer., if so you would do well to get the latest drivers from HP for the printer

User-312386 22:46 25 Jul 03

as woodchip has sais AOL is talking tripe, they are just fobbing you off

I would as said above is add at least 128mb ram, thats if you have any slots?

pj123 23:15 25 Jul 03

Before you rush out and buy more memory you need to check what memory slots you have in your computer, you may find they are simm and/or dimm slots. If so you may have a problem finding memory. I have just checked 3 of my suppliers websites and not one of them is listing simm or dimm memory. That is not to say they haven't got any but if may be difficult to source.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…