Do I need more RAM?

Mimi Jane 22:07 01 Mar 06

I have Windows XP and 236 RAM. I normally have 37 processes running at a time, but don't do anything spectacular on the computer. Noticed that pf tends to be at around 300 mb and, just recently, the computer tends to be running quite slowly with a lot of background "chuntering" going on (could be Norton AV?). Do you think I need more RAM installed to get back up to speed? Many thanks for any help.

VoG II 22:08 01 Mar 06

Try click here and see if it helps.

007al 22:10 01 Mar 06

Windows xp runs happiest on minimum of 512MB RAM.
Norton doesnt help either

Mimi Jane 22:14 01 Mar 06

Thanks ... I've already done a "clean-up" and it made no difference. I wouldn't touch the registry though as I'm pretty computer ignorant! Is it best to take my computer to a shop to have more RAM installed? I'd never attempt this myself, wouldn't have a clue.

VoG II 22:17 01 Mar 06

Go to click here to find the details of your computer. Then go to click here and use the Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool - it is guaranteed to work.

ade.h 22:24 01 Mar 06

Installing RAM is straightforward, particularly on a notebook; just unscrew a panel and pop it in.

And yes, you probably could use a bit more.

Mimi Jane 22:34 01 Mar 06

Thanks ... I now know what RAM I need, but I really wouldn't like to fit it myself. I'll 'phone a local shop I think and see how much they charge.

VoG II 22:37 01 Mar 06

You don't need a shop - I've done this and it is soooo easy.

Mimi Jane 23:00 01 Mar 06

Can anyone guide me through where to insert the RAM then? I have an "old" DAN computer ... can't even see where you unscrew to get into the tower, presume it must be at the back, only place there are any screws!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant