Do I need a LAN driver?

pcbobby 16:50 08 Feb 07

For a reserve PC, I use an old Compaq Deskpro.OS is Win XP Home.
It did not have a LAN card, so in the event that I may need an Ethernet connection, Ibought a second hand:Intel(R) PRO/100+PCI Adapter.

Does it need a driver?
If so, can I download a freebie?

Thank you.

silverous 16:52 08 Feb 07

You should be able to download the driver from intel, but you might find XP or whatever OS you put on it already has one.

pcbobby 16:55 08 Feb 07

silverous.Thank you for that.
I did actually check the Intel site, but I could not reconcile the above ref with anything on the site!

pcbobby 17:15 08 Feb 07

Is there a suitable driver listed here. click here

ed-0 17:20 08 Feb 07

It shouldn't need a separate driver, it should be in the windows folder. Or at worst ask you to insert the windows disk.

Best thing is to shut down the pc, insert the card, start the pc.

See what it says.

pcbobby 17:24 08 Feb 07

ed-0. Thank you.
I am not too well clued up on the subject, but when I inserted the card, a mesage appeared as recognised. So, I guess, that all is OK ??

ed-0 17:30 08 Feb 07

That sounds fine, but it is easy to check.

Right click my computer > properties > hardware > device manager. Have you any yellow exclamation marks, no. Then open network adapters.

Is the lan card shown there without any exclamation marks. If it is, it's fine.

Or check in control panel.

Control panel > network connections > local area connection. Is it showing here. Is it showing as disabled or enabled? If so the card is working.

pcbobby 17:34 08 Feb 07

ed-0. I will hook up the old PC after dinner and report back.

pcbobby 19:02 08 Feb 07

ed-0.
Yes, the network adapter appears on the device manager list.
Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…