Do I need to keep all Java updates?

Madocmunroe 15:24 04 Feb 10

I am not particularly au fair with my pc but know it is slow and am trying to get it to speed up - at start up it can take me 10 minutes to access emails and internet. I have looked at removing programmes and have come across various Java(TM) updates - sorry to be a dunce - do I need all of them or can I remove a couple of them - they seem to be taking up lots of MBs! Thank you

GaT7 15:33 04 Feb 10

What OS are you using & is it a desktop or laptop? Can you tell us the general spec: CPU, RAM & hard drive? And also how much free space the latter has.

How many programs do you have loading at start up?

What security/antivirus programs do you use?

You can try uninstalling Java, then installing the latest click here. G

Madocmunroe 15:41 04 Feb 10

Thanks for quick response - I will ask husband to provide some of the info, it is running on Windows XP, I have Picasa and Avast is the security bit - we are on broadband. I will come back re: other information required - thanks again!

cocteau48 15:49 04 Feb 10

You only really need the latest version.
Download and run JavaRa click here

It will remove all the unnecessary previous versions and leave you a report on what it has done. You will be amazed at how much space it frees up.

Madocmunroe 15:55 04 Feb 10

Thank you - I really appreciate your help - I will try that and fingers crossed! What a great website this is! I now know where to come with future questions................ you Guys are fab! Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…