Do I need Internet Explorer

gudda96 09:48 11 Jul 06

I have been told by people more advanced than me that FF is much safer than IF. I have both browers but if its true, I would like to stop using IE, which is quite easy I know but I have a question.

I use Hotmail for everything other than friends, to prevent spam but of course it uses the IE browser.

Can I substitute HM with something similar using FF and will I still be able to get my Windows Updates.

VoG II 09:54 11 Jul 06

If you get click here you can use Firefox for everything but IE will still have to be installed.

Stuartli 10:01 11 Jul 06

Microsoft offers a Firefox plug-in to obtain Windows Update. See:

click here

Also, if you prefer an alternative method:

click here

Stuartli 10:08 11 Jul 06

I still retain and keep OE fully updated as there is the odd occasion when FF will not accept downloads from a website.

gudda96 10:33 11 Jul 06

Thanks to both, this site certainly gives quick answers.

VOG
I appreciate IE will still be installed and lying in prog menu, no problem with that.What and when would I use that download/tab??

Stuartl
That first link gives me a message re Validation, is it supposed to?
The second link, is that a third browser?

And to both, what is Gmail

VoG II 10:44 11 Jul 06

Once you have installed the IEtab then in Firefox, Tools > IEtab options to set a webpage to open as an IE tab in Firefox.

What is Gmail? click here

If you would like an invite for a Gmail account please contact me by clicking my yellow envelope.

Stuartli 11:18 11 Jul 06

That first link gives me a message re Validation, is it supposed to?>>

>>The second link, is that a third browser?>>

Yes, you stated you still wished to obtain Windows Updates.

No. It's another method of obtaining Windows Updates using Firefox.

gudda96 15:01 11 Jul 06

Vog
1-why would I want to open IE when in FF ?

2-re g-mail, does it do the same job as HM and keep spam away from OE and are there any downsides to it,do you use it?

Stuarl

Your first answer applies if/when I want IE,yes.
Second answer,so are you saying I need IE to get windows update

VoG II 15:11 11 Jul 06

1. So that you can access sites like Windows Update from Firefox rather than having to launch Internet Explorer.

2. I don't get any spam on my Gmail account. The downside is that ad links are attached to messages (similar to the ad links you see on a Google search result page. I very rarely use it.

gudda96 15:27 11 Jul 06

So that you can access sites like Windows Update from Firefox>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So we can update windows from FF but we use that "extension"

I very rarely use it.>>>>>so, like me, if you buy from net and are required to give an e-mail, would you use the g-mail??

VoG II 15:29 11 Jul 06

So we can update windows from FF but we use that "extension" - Yes.

I very rarely use it.>>>>>so, like me, if you buy from net and are required to give an e-mail, would you use the g-mail?? - No - I always use my blueyonder e-mail address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos