do i need an internal modem

karenmt 15:01 16 Mar 06

My mum is considering buying a pc, the one being the Dell 1100. This will be used primarily for internet and e-mail. Does she need to have an internal modem as she will be taking out a broadband subscription with an external modem included?

SG Atlantis® 15:03 16 Mar 06

nope, not needed.

rmcqua 15:05 16 Mar 06

No, she doesn't need an internal modem, karenmt. Her broadband will connect from the external modem either via an "ethernet" type connector or a USB connector. Her new PC is pretty certain to have both of these built in.

spuds 15:11 16 Mar 06

If your mum wants to fax anything, then she will require the internal modem on a payg dial-up. Broadband is a different system.

beynac 15:35 16 Mar 06

Personally, I would include one. They are only £11.75 and you then can use fax (as 'spuds' says). Also, if the broadband connection goes down, you can revert to dial-up (having previously set up with a free ISP such as Free UK).

iscanut2 20:36 16 Mar 06

I agree with above. No harm in having an internal just in case of problems with Broadband, USB modem, etc, you could still use dial up to connect. Unlikely, but a useful precaution.

rmcqua 20:40 16 Mar 06

Guys, don't confuse the poor lady! It sounds like this may be her first PC, to be used for internet and e-mail.
She doesn't need one!

terryf 07:49 17 Mar 06

I agree not to confuse, don't spend on an external modem until you have got the PC in use, have installed b'band, got used to the computer and internet and then decide whether you need to send faxes, in my opinion not ever since you probably also need a scanner to send faxes, and if you have a scanner you can send the doc by email.

beynac 13:23 17 Mar 06

I'm sorry, but I can't see what is confusing about having an internal modem as backup for the broadband connection. There is no need for karenmt's mum to do anything. The modem will just be there if she needs it. For the sake of £12, it just seems worth doing.

pj123 14:24 17 Mar 06

I am on NTL cable BB but also still have an internal Analogue modem installed as a backup. I have a PAYG dialup account which is kept active by logging in at least once a week.

I also use it to send faxes. You don't need a scanner to send faxes. Any application that has a print mode can send a fax. I send faxes regularly using MS Word, Excel and Publisher as well as Paint Shop Pro. I have never used a scanner to send a fax.

As a precaution my modem is never connected to the phone line until I need to use it.

If the Dell 1100 comes with an analogue Modem already fitted I would accept it. You won't get much reduction in the price if you say you don't want it.

anchor 16:31 17 Mar 06

I, like pj123, have broadband. I use my analogue internal modem to send faxes, (mainly from MS Word), plus its useful to have a second string to access the internet if the broadband connection fails.

The cost of an internal 56k modem is negligible, and I see no point in leaving it out. The modem she receives with the broadband subscription will be for ADSL only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…