Do I need a flopy disk drive

Maryp 09:56 08 Oct 05

I've been looking at new towers, and have noticed quite a few dont come with a flopy disk drive. Is it important to have one?

Gongoozler 10:00 08 Oct 05

Hi Maryp. Most people don't need a floppy drive. Almost anything that a floppy drive would have been used for can be done better with a cd-rw drive or a USB flash drive, however occasionally a floppy drive is very useful, so at under £5 I can't see any reason for a computer not to have one. If the computer you buy has a space for a floppy drive, you can easily add one yourself.

mattyc_92 10:05 08 Oct 05

There is no real point to have a floppy drive these days, but as Gongoozler says, it can be useful.

You can just add one yourself either internal or external (external is a plug and play usb device.)

€dstowe 10:17 08 Oct 05

We have twenty or so computers in the studio. None of them have a floppy drive. Not found a use for a floppy drive for many years but, if there were, were have an external one which could be plugged in.

freaky 10:17 08 Oct 05

I have floppy drives on three computers, and still find them to be useful in certain circumstances.

What I do find extremely useful is a USB Memory Stick.......I can download a program update, then copy it to the Stick, then just transfer the update from one PC to the other. Saves a lot of time. My oldest PC does not have a USB slot on the front which is a nuisance....I recently bought a USB extension cable, and leave that permanently attached with one end on the desktop. Can then attack the Stick to that without fiddling at the back of the case!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009