Do I need a firewall and Antivirus

Reet 09:14 17 Apr 04

With the help of this Forum I have networked my desktop PC and two laptops using a Belkin ADSL Modem Router with built in firewall. Do I still need ZoneAlam and AVG

Your advice much appreciated
regards Rita

VoG II 09:17 17 Apr 04

You still need AVG.

Terrahawk 09:18 17 Apr 04

antivirus is a must dont connect without it as you have a hardware firewall providing its setup properly you won't need a software firewall

spuds 17:43 17 Apr 04

Here's a site that will provide a little more information click here

paddyjack 19:19 17 Apr 04

AV is a must. Here is an example.

Was in a computer shop today to see a mate who works there in the back room was a computer that had just come in (fault kept switching it self off) yes you have guessed why. 1450 infected files, and that is a true figure.

No AV in place, and lots of dodgy sites visited. The cost a good night in the pub.

You mean there is life away from this forum

Gaz 25 19:45 17 Apr 04

An antivirus is a serious must.

Gaz 25 19:47 17 Apr 04

If you require information, here: click here

Reet 21:31 18 Apr 04

Thank you all for your advice and the links to further information. I was under the impression that the firewall in the modem/router would protect all of the computers from all outside attacks. How niave can you be? But at least I've learnt something new.

I have uninstalled ZoneAlam from the two Medions and reactivated AVG on both of them. The Acer Ferrari came with Norton Antivirus which I will keep for the time being,unless it causes a conflict.

Shall I keep Spybot and Adaware? If so should they be installed on each PC,only the desktop is used for games and MP3 Music by my grandsons?

Your comment 'providing its set up properly' leaves me a little uneasy. I have not yet configured the encryption.I put it off while the house was full of grandchildren. They are back to school on Monday and I will attempt it then. I hope i'm not shuting the gate after the horse has bolted!

Thanks again to all

TommyRed 21:44 18 Apr 04

Consider downloading and running SpywareBlaster which prevents the majority of the nasties that Spybot and ad-aware pick up being installed in the first place. click here I run all three, they're free but you must keep them updated regularly. HTH TR

craig24 21:50 18 Apr 04

although a router firewall stops traffic coming in from the internet you have no control over whats accessing the internet. i prefer to run zonealarm alongside my router so i still have control over which programs access the internet.
But AV is a must.
Its all down preference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…