Do I need a firewall?

ben13 15:15 03 Jul 03

I am getting a PC with Norton Anti-virus for home use. Do I need a firewall as well? If so would the Norton one be best? The system will be running on Windows XP.

Lú-tzé 15:19 03 Jul 03

Yes, you should have a firewall if you do any amt of surfing; that and an up to date av prog will keep you going.I like sygate personal firewall; free from sygate.com.

Others may suggest Norton Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm, Outpost and so on.

My primary use of a firewall is to determine what programs are trying to access the net rather than stopping anything malicious accessing my pc - although it does that too.

-pops- 15:31 03 Jul 03

I'm a fan of outpost as, I believe the Forum Editor is. It's free and, unlike some others, unobtrusive in that it only makes its presence known when it needs to. Otherwise it sits in the background quietly doing what it's supposed to do. click here

I don't like ZoneAlarm because of its interface. McAfee I found irritating and always wanting me to take out a new subscription even though there was 11 months of subscription left. Norton, I don't know about but, I wouldn't let any other Norton product into my computer so the firewall gets in the same category.

The integral firewall in XP is one way only and thus only half effective.

Brian

Belatucadrus 15:33 03 Jul 03

Here is a link that gives access to the free firewalls, they are as good as Norton.

click here

alcudia 16:21 03 Jul 03

Yes, you need a firewall. If you already have Norton AV, go for the Norton Firewall as well.
Despite what others have said, it works, and is well worth the money. Also the two work together well.

Gaz 25 16:25 03 Jul 03

Norton Antiviurs and Norton Personal Firewall 2003 intergrate to check all programs and files that try to access the intrenet for viruses, and trojans.

Also Norton provides features that would increase your security from Professional attackers.

Give norton a go, it is the best, the most secure, but not the most reliable whenit comes to software. But it is the best,

BillEmm 16:43 03 Jul 03

Norton Tech Support is very good, helpful and courteous.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5