do i need firewall?

sharky88 20:22 16 Apr 06

since i installed my wireless router i have noticed i havent received any hits on my firewall log (mcafee).does this mean i can do without my mcafee firewall as the router seems to be taking care of business for me?

woodchip 20:33 16 Apr 06

If you have a Router No, Well i don't use one but one will stop outgoing connections, if you set it to

mammak 21:22 16 Apr 06

That’s interesting woodchip that you don’t use a firewall other than your routers
Until recently I had an awful lot of problems with my network basically could could not display most pages, (Panda anti virus and firewall and cable and wireless router) and since uninstalling the lot in favour of free Avast and Zone Alarm all BT products have not had a problem, it makes me wonder after you saying this woodchip if we maybe are a bit paranoid in the way of security I for one would trust your word that this procedure is safe.

VoG II 21:31 16 Apr 06

I'm hiding behind a router's hardware firewall but when I look at the log of my software firewall it is still recording loads of 'hits'. I'm sticking with both - make of this what you will.

mammak 21:39 16 Apr 06

VoG™ again interesting but like sharky88 never had any hits to talk of since
Installing my now trusted router so maybe it's a personal choice? And of course again I would trust your judgement.

Totally-braindead 21:43 16 Apr 06

If you have no problems with running the hardware and software firewall at the same time I would be inclined to leave it as it is.

mammak 21:50 16 Apr 06

Totally-braindead if it works don't fix eh.

Aargh 21:50 16 Apr 06

Problem with just trusting your router firewall is how often does its protection rules get updated? With a software firewall, you are also likely to get regular threat protection updates.

VoG II 22:13 16 Apr 06

Of course it is personal judgment.

I usually post in the imperative but it is up to the OP as to whether to follow my 'instructions'.

Anyway, I have a software firewall, also paid for, though ZA is free and probably just as good. I just happen to like McAfee products and am not strapped for cash (nor am I minted - ask Mrs VoG but that's another discussion!).

pennyben 22:50 16 Apr 06

Really no correct or wrong answer. If you have a router this will make your pc invisible, try Shields Up to test: click here

You can also have Windows FW running as well, it is good at stopping anyone snooping.

What you will miss is monitoring anything going out i.e. malware getting into your system and sending information out. If you have good security you may be ok with this.

Depends what you want and what sort of sites you visit. There are many good free FW's available, Kerio, NetVeda etc if needed.

Perhaps you need to look at something like Prevx 1R which monitors what is happening on your system, probably a good way to go if you have a router. click here

CurlyWhirly 16:41 17 Apr 06

I have both a software firewall (McAfee) and my routers hardware firewall and have had them running side by side with NO problems.

They shouldn't clash with each other as far as I am aware?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…