Do I need express card for wireless internet???

rickf 18:22 13 Feb 09

Hi,
I have a 2nd hand laptop Acer Aspire 5920G. It's got an express card slot and has Intel Pro wireless 3495ABG. Do I still need to buy an express card so it can connect wirelessly? Sounds like a stupid question I know.
Another laptop a Medion has the same Intel Pro 3495 hardware but won't connect to the net wirelessly even after I set up the connection to a wireless modem router. Just checking before I spend money getting the cards.
Thanks

rickf 18:27 13 Feb 09

bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 13 Feb 09

have you switched it on?
small switch or key combination to activate the wireless.

MAJ 18:31 13 Feb 09

Very impatient, rickf, at least give time to let someone read the post before bumping it.

The wireless card you mention should pick up the wireless signal from a wireless router. You have switched it on haven't you?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 13 Feb 09

Wi-Fi toggle switch sit on the left side of the keyboard

rickf 18:33 13 Feb 09

sorry was in a hurry. didn't mean to be impatient. The toggle switch is it FN+F1

Technotiger 18:36 13 Feb 09

Have you switched WiFi on - toggle switch on left hand side.

If yes, and you still cannot connect, then I would say a Card would be needed.

But I am certainly not a laptop expert.

rickf 18:41 13 Feb 09

Hi,
There is no toggle switch but I tried using key combination FN+F1 but nothing happens.

rickf 18:43 13 Feb 09

or I can't find it. Do you mean the top one in series of switches on the left side?

Technotiger 18:44 13 Feb 09

click here

Read through this Review (in PCA Mag) and you will see that it does mention a toggle switch on the left-hand side of the lappie.

ambra4 18:55 13 Feb 09

‘Do I need express card for wireless Internet???”

No.

If the wireless card Intel Pro wireless 3495ABG is available check in device manager if the drive

is installed you can update the driver from Intel make sure you download and install the correct

2 programs XP programs 1&2 / Vista 2 Only

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
3 downloads on 1 page supported for Windows* XP Professional
click here

If Using Vista or any other OS and not XP Pro

click here

Most laptop computer these days comes with a building wireless card; some required you to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch on the laptop

Or using the FN (Function) key you have to hold down the FN key and press the key with a small antenna icon to turn on the wireless card Antenna

You can also check that the wireless card is Enable/Disable from inside the Network Connection

Area Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right Click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or

Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos