Do I need C:\windows\1386 folder

prince midas 19:33 16 Aug 07

I have checked & my PC does not have C:\windows\1386 folder

Do I need this folder?

No it is not hidden.

SANTOS7 19:36 16 Aug 07

click here
Its i386 and you most certainly do have one your PC would not work without it...

useful to have,if you havent got xp disc to hand,you can do the sfc /scannow from it
click here

SANTOS7 19:38 16 Aug 07

click here

better info here...

sunny staines 19:41 16 Aug 07

The Raven

good link saved the article in pdf version.

prince midas 09:49 17 Aug 07

I have found the i386 folder in C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386.

Is this okay as I thought it should be in C:\windows\i386.

I cannot run sfc.exe it just flashes,& when I try to run Scannow it asks for the XP Pro CD disk.
I am on IE7.I was under the impression that if the i386 was in C: \windows the scannow command should work.

VoG II 09:55 17 Aug 07
  Clapton is God 10:17 17 Aug 07

"I cannot run sfc.exe it just flashes"

Try this method:

• Click Start; Run.
• In the Run box, type cmd.exe to open the command prompt window.
• At the prompt, type sfc.exe /scannow
• Press ENTER. If Windows finds problems with the system files, you will be prompted to insert your Windows XP installation CD to restore the files.

If no problems are found and the scan finishes, type exit and press ENTER.

prince midas 10:29 17 Aug 07

I have run your method from command prompt & it asks me to insert CD which I will do later as I am going out now.Thanks.Just a quick question could the fact that the i386 folder is not in windows C; direct but is in a subdirectory would this make it hard for windows scannow to find it?

Stuartli 10:40 17 Aug 07

If you have read *THE RAVEN*'s link from earlier in the thread, your question would not be necessary..:-)

Clapton is God 10:41 17 Aug 07

"would this make it hard for windows scannow to find it?"

No.

The fact that scannow is asking for the CD is not unusual.

It may mean that some of the .dll files are missing/damaged and scannow needs to get 'clean' copies from the CD to replace them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…