Do I need a case fan as well?

expertec 16:41 01 Sep 04

Soon I may be building a computer. This is using a Celeron 2.4 GHz CPU.

Obviously this has it's own heatsink and fan, but will I need to put case fan(s) in as well?

wee eddie 16:55 01 Sep 04

You will need to draw air through the vents, which are usually placed low down on the casing, to remove any heated air within.

A powerful fan, venting the contents of the case from the top is the logical conclusion.

Cosmetically speaking, this is probably better done to the rear of the case but is actually unimportant.

Tog_ 17:10 01 Sep 04

If you can get a PSU which has it's fan opening in it's base, that will help extract the warm air from the case and avoid the need for an extra fan. Celeries don't get very hot anyway.

expertec 16:27 02 Sep 04

Any more thoughts?

mrbuk 16:55 02 Sep 04

If you are using your PC for games or heavy graphics use, I would highly reccomend a case fan, even though most modern graphics card use their own fan.
I found that my CPU temp(Athlon) dropped by 7 degrees when I installed one.

Stuartli 17:02 02 Sep 04

Pulling cold/cooler air in from the bottom of the case front can only add to the efficiency of the cooling.

I only have the PSU fan expelling air with cool air drawn in by the case fan (plus graphics card and CPU fans) and this, plus small air holes at the lower end of the back of the case, maintains a suitable temperature even in summer; my PentiumIII 550MHz CPU rarely rises above 35-36 degrees C.

Leaving sufficient room around the case between walls etc to assist cooling also helps.

Dorsai 17:20 02 Sep 04

I never had a case fan, till i built myself a syustem using a 1Ghz duron. I had constant problems with BSOD. eventually solved the problem by fitting a front mounted fan to blow cold air into the PC. Ever since i have always made sure to use a front fan blowing in, and then i let the CPU fan blow the hot air out at the back. seeing as a 90mm quiet case fan can be got for £20 click here , it is a small price to pay to keep it going in the hottest summer months.

Dorsai 17:21 02 Sep 04

and then i let the CPU fan blow the hot air out

not CPU, meant to say PSU.

Stuartli 17:47 02 Sep 04

In theory, a water-cooled car engine shouldn't need a fan as it's rushing through the air most of the time it's in use.

However, when it's in slower moving traffic, stationary or there's hot weather, that radiator fan is vital - in fact my car has two...:-)

Same for your CPU and other components.

961 19:27 02 Sep 04

Most computers have a fan on the processor, an extract fan within the PSU, and an extract fan on the rear of the case

Some computers also have an input fan to draw cool air on the front of the case, but while this may help, you may find that if you take temperatures with software such as SiSoft Sandra or by examining the BIOS temperature reports the computer actually runs cooler without a front fan

With case fans only costing about £5-£8 I can't see the point of not installing one at the back

Dorsai 20:36 02 Sep 04

Two fans sucking the air out are fighting with each other.

One blowing out is trying to achieve the same result as the other blowing out, a tug of war.

But by getting one to blow in and the other out, they are trying to do the same, get new cold air in, and old hot air out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…