do I need a card reader?

MUPPET1 14:33 09 Feb 05

I have a DSC p72 digital camera and am thinking of buying the matrix 3000 from mesh computers. Do I need to get the integral usb2 8-in-1 card reader? Sorry if this seems like a daft question, but I am very new to this. Thanks for all help

FelixTCat 14:43 09 Feb 05

No, you do't need it, because you can transfer pictures from the camera using the cable and software provided with the camera. However, a card reader is a much better and quicker option. Make sure that one of the 8 options in the card reader is suitable for the cards your camera uses.

You can buy free-standing card readers; it may be worth checking some third-party prices against what Mesh will charge you.

Bagsey 14:49 09 Feb 05

I would say get it now while you are busy buying. It will save getting a usb reader later and all of the extra clutter on your desk as it will be built into one of the drive bays.

MUPPET1 14:50 09 Feb 05

thanks for that

smurfling 14:51 09 Feb 05

Be carefull, the card reader specified by Mesh is an external one. There are some external ones cheaper and just as good. They will give you a built in one for the same price but you will have to specify that when you order.

MUPPET1 15:00 09 Feb 05

how/ why is it quicker and easier and which is better internal/external (apart for space issue? thanks

pj123 15:02 09 Feb 05

Contrary to what FelixTCat has said I think you do need a card reader.

It is so much easier than plugging your camera in, making sure you have enough battery power etc. running the camera software, downloading the photo's.

With a card reader (permanently connected) all you do is take the card out of the camera into the card reader and download. Simple.

MUPPET1 15:09 09 Feb 05

aaah right now I understand? thanks for that pj123 (and the rest of you). that is a big help

Stuartli 16:55 09 Feb 05

You can buy a 7, 8, 9 or even 12-to-1 card reader for around £10.

Although I can download pix files from my digital camea using a USB lead, I prefer the card reader; I also use the camera's SD and MMC cards to carry and transfer small files etc to other systems using the card reader (you have to reformat the card in the camera after such use).

However, to save the dual role I've just bought a 256MB SD card from for a remarkable £19.94 including delivery.

My 32MB MMC card cost £25 from two years ago.

Stuartli 16:57 09 Feb 05

My 7-in-1 card reader/writer cost £12 including p and p from the same source about a year ago.

MIke 18:42 09 Feb 05

I just bought a usb2 card reader from 7 dayshop at a silly price. Downloads much faster than from camera which is only USB 1 compatible.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…