Do I need to buy a new USB printer cable?

My old HP printer has ground to a halt. Thinking of buying the CANON IP5000. Can I use my old USB cable or do I need a new one? (are they all the same?)
Thanks!
PS Any opinions on the printer- was going for Epson R300 but want an all rounder and reviews suggest that the text printing is "spidery" whilst the photo printing is brilliant.

TomJerry 13:48 26 Apr 05

ha ha

Thought so but wanted to check.

Stuartli 13:55 26 Apr 05

Actually the joke is very, very much on you.

There are several types of USB cables - the Universal is part of the moniker Universal Serial Bus.

My digital camera's USB cable, for instance, would be useless for the broadband modem and the same would apply in the case of my card reader/writer in both cases.

Stuartli 13:59 26 Apr 05

Here's some examples of various USB cables you can buy:

click here=

Stuartli 14:16 26 Apr 05

Re the Epson R300. My best mate bought the R200 for a very reasonable £62 recently; the prints quality is really excellent and text reproduction is fine.

Although it would cost a horrendous price to replace any or all six Epson original inkjet cartridges, I found several sources offering all six cartridges from prices ranging from £12.99 to £19.99.

My mate has bought two full kits at £12.99 and is now equipped for photo printing for some time.

TomJerry 14:20 26 Apr 05

mini usb, diferent pin etc etc

printers use standard usb cable and connector, only camera, mp3, small size external HDD use special tiny usb connector

I realise there are many different kinds what I wasn't sure about is on a desk jet printer would the cable be the same?
Seems a pity to buy a new one if the old one would suffice (although equally I don't want to get my printer and have to rush out and buy one!)
Thanks for the advice Stuartli- much prefer some help without the ha ha's :)
(STill to decide on printer though!)

Stuartli 15:16 26 Apr 05

Actually my printer uses a Centronics cable - for obvious reasons.

Re USB cables - your own words were: "all the same, U standard for "universal".

That was incorrect advice and might have caused Debe, or anyone else, problems.

Stuartli 15:23 26 Apr 05

Re your printer purchase again.

My Canon BJC600e is now nine years old, beautifully built and has proved a paragon of reliability, virtually vibrationless in action and came fully equipped for photo and transparency printing (uses four cartridges, BYMC, which cost around £2 each to replace or, alternatively, can be easily refilled). Mind you it cost £394 at Makro...:-)

The current Canon IP3000 - which is a fraction of that price - is apparently very good and its cartridges are also cheap to purchase but, like the 600e, "only" uses four cartridges; if you wish to do a lot of photo printing you will almost certainly be better with a six cartridge type for even more accurate colour reproduction.

this one has 5 (4 colours and black I'm guessing) but looking at the comet website because it has such a small droplet size its picture quality comes out at a 5 where as the epson and most others come out as a 1.5.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…