Do I need a bootable CD for Vista

Halmer 12:45 26 Aug 08

as a precaution?

I've done one via Nero 7 Essentials for my XP PC but for some reason Nero wont create one on my Vista laptop.

I just wanted to make sure that I have things in place in case of a disaster. I've backed up my data files on both PCs and made sure that System Restore is working so: -

1. How do I create a bootable CD for Vista?
2. Do I need any other contingency arrangements?

I did not get a Windows installation disc with either XP on my PC or Vista on my laptop.

Thank you.

H

H

Sea Urchin 13:13 26 Aug 08

If you've installed Vista Service Pack 1, you can use the administrative tools it installs to create a recovery or repair disc to repair corrupt system files. This creates a "stripped down" version that lets you do a repair without the Windows installation disc. You can create a bootable USB version of the repair disc. Read more about that here:

click here

woodchip 13:47 26 Aug 08

The best bootable CD you can get is, Acronis True Image Mage a Image by starting with the Acronis CD you can also Restore using the CD or Make a Rescue CD after loading Acronis to your Hard Drive.

Image as to be saved to another Partition or External Drive. when Creating it

woodchip 13:48 26 Aug 08

Make not Mage

Halmer 15:13 26 Aug 08

under Programs/Maintenance 'Create a Recovery Disc' is not there.

H

ventanas 15:26 26 Aug 08

As advised use Acronis
click here
There is nothing better.

If it's any consolation none of my five Vista SP1 installations have the Recovery Disc option. There may be one, but it's not under Admin Tools.

ventanas 15:31 26 Aug 08

I've just looked at the link supplied above, and I am very curious. I've also checked Programs/Maintenence and there is no option there either, and this machine is Vista Ultimate.
The article is nearly one year old, long before SP1 was released. Is it possible it was removed before release?

BurrWalnut 15:35 26 Aug 08

The program, recdisc, was in Vista SP1 beta but has been made inoperative in SP1 RTM.

You can download and create a Recovery Disk (32-bit x86 or 64-bit x64) click here

After downloading the image to your hard disk, create a CD in ISO format (a DVD is not necessary as the 32-bit version is 120MB and the 64-bit version is 148MB). On the CD, there are two folders (Boot and Sources) and one file Bootmgr.

Zeppelyn 16:14 26 Aug 08

RE 'Create a Recovery Disc'

That feature was in some of the early beta releases for Windows Vista SP1, but it was cut from the final release.

Halmer 16:59 26 Aug 08

Woodchip - have you purchased a copy of Acronis or just used the trial?

woodchip 17:24 26 Aug 08

I bought Acronis True Image 9 and Disc Director Suite 10 on a Offer from Acronis. Some time ago. With True Image I only ever use it for creating Images Disc Director I also use and this computer I am using at the moment as Win98se My Main Operating System and XP Home on two different drives booting Dual boot using OS Selector part of Disc Director

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…