Do I need AVG and Avast

bemuzed 20:17 22 Dec 08

I installed two Virus guard programs: the AVG free edition and Avast Home Edition. I am not sure what each one does e.g. scan emails, web browsing etc. Do i need both?

Technotiger 20:18 22 Dec 08

You should only ever use one Anti-virus at any time.

bemuzed 20:20 22 Dec 08

Thanks. If you knwo these programmes do you knwo which is best?

Technotiger 20:26 22 Dec 08

I have not used Avast, though I have friends who use it, I understand it is OK.

I have always used AVG, which has never let me down, and I believed AVG is used by more people than use Avast - though of course I could be wrong.

But AVG is my personal choice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 22 Dec 08

They are as good as each other,
I have used both but prefer Avast.

Only use one., they will interfere with each other and give false positives.

skidzy 22:11 22 Dec 08
  Bapou 22:42 22 Dec 08

Having used AVG Free version for 6 years, thought there was non better. Now I am about to move to Avast Home Edition, simply because, whenever AVG updates the chances are a .exe file is moved to the Vault saying it contains a virus and then turns out to be a 'false positive'.

Yesterday it happened again, after searching with Google I became convinced AVG were wrong again and sent the file for analysis. AVG swiftly replied disagreeing.

I'm not going to wait for AVG rectifying with an update as before, enough is enough.

thetic 23:24 22 Dec 08

Avira for me Ive been through a couple of free ones and so far i find this one the best of the bunch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…