Do I need all these ?

Derek 09:58 16 Feb 05

I have a list of security software on my PC and just wonder if I require all of them.
All I want to do is to remain safe.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware.
Spybot search and Destroy.
Registry First Aid.
Start-up Inspector for Windows.
MS. Giant anti-spyware.

I have Grisoft AV for obvious reasons.

Kindest regards DM.

Graham ® 10:02 16 Feb 05

No Spywareblaster? Zonealarm? A-squared?

dazza39 10:11 16 Feb 05

All you really need is a Firewall,Anti-virus,& Spyware program.Of course its down to personal choice.I use Kerio Firewall ,Avast Anti-virus and Microsofts new Anti-spyware software,and they all work in harmony.

Magik ®© 10:12 16 Feb 05

as graham said, not nearly enough..you can not join the gang till you have double the amount.

:-)

carper 10:24 16 Feb 05

Don't forget "Stinger" for clearing up

VoG II 10:28 16 Feb 05

And StartPage Guard click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:32 16 Feb 05

Take heed of dazza39, no point in going OTT

G

Derek 10:37 16 Feb 05

Thanks to all especially Gandalf and Dazza.

Will use as Dazza suggests.

Belatucadrus 10:38 16 Feb 05

Adaware, Spybot & MS AntiSpyware, 3 anti spyware progs is a bit OTT. I'd get rid of one of them and follow Graham ® suggestion and use spywareblaster, this is a blocker rather than a cleaner and works very well.
Registry first aid, if you've already paid for it I'd keep it as it's always useful to have something to clean the registry. If you have yet to part with the readies try Regseeker as an alternative click here another good freebie.
Start-Up inspector, I think that this will be duplicating one of the functions in MS AntiSpyware, but not a bad idea to leave it for the moment and see if it throws up warnings at the same time. Then decide if you want to remove it.
AVG anti virus, good choice.
Graham ® other suggestions of a firewall such as ZoneAlarm click here or Kerio click here you'll get different opinions here, some don't think they're worth having, others wouldn't go near the Internet without one, I use Kerio and assuming you have Windows XP would suggest you at least turn the windows firewall on.
a² Free click here is a Trojan scanner and as such is a good back-up to AVG, is it necessary ? I don't think so, but again that's a matter of opinion.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:40 16 Feb 05

I wrote this in another thread but it should give you some idea about 'threats'.....................the vast majority of Trojans/viruses/worms will NOT cause any serious problems and can easily be shifted.

I have not run a firewall for 3 years and I use AVG free version, which I swear by. I have had no BHO's, worms, viruses, Trojans etc., the computer is connected to the net most of the time as well. Now this is nothing to do with deep knowledge; all I do is follow a few simple rules that anyone with 10 minutes to spare could pick up...and they need little computer knowledge only 4 or 5 free programmes plus a modicum of common sense.....

1) do not accept offers of free 'browser helpers' or any browser add-ons, weather bugs, news trackers unless they are from Google, MS, Copernic etc. If you are unsure post here. You will have an answer within an hour and you can live without the programmes for this long.

2) Only download from reputable sources...Debbiedoesdallas.com would not be a suitable source whereas Microsoft and PCA may be considered OK. Again, post here for advice.

3) Lay off the Pr0n sites UNLESS you do NOT click on any 'accept', 'yes', 'vote for this site' and 'would you like to download this useful activeX programme' boxes.

4) If you have kids tell them not to accept files in MSN or download ANY free programmes from kids sites. Inform them that file swapping scantily clad pics of Britney Spears that their friends have downloaded from gawdknowswhere, is to be avoided and will probably make them go blind and daft in later life. I have a feeling that many Trojans and worms are the result of children downloading stuff. I cannot prove this but there is a definite, marked trend in all the computers that I see.

5) Avoid the 'make cash quickly' sites that ask you to d/l 'helper' software. There is NO way to make cash quickly on the net so going to these sites are the reserve of the incredibly stupid and naive who cannot be trusted with money thus deserving to lose it all.

6) Keep up to date with the windows patches, most of them tend to be for network glitches but downloading them will not harm....turning on auto window updates will help for the lazy/absent-minded. A swift manual check on the Windows update site every Preston Guild will not harm.

7) Download Microsoft antispy click here. It is free, has real-time protection and I am very impressed. Run it weekly or whenever you get the urge. A swift run, once a week with Adaware will help as well (there are many other progs such a spybot and spywareguard)

8) Ccleaner click here ..... running it everyday will help keep the history files and temp files sparkling clean.

9) Keep your AV updated. There are free or paid for versions available for home users. personally I cannot see the point in paying but each to their own.

Following the above takes a few minutes each week. None of the above is rocket science but it does involve a LITTLE personal responsibility. This is basically what I do and I never have any problems (naturally I never visit Pr0n sites ;-)) ).

It is worth remembering that all the above programems can be run in the background whilst you are surfing or typing up the latest Village Fete poster, so there is no excuse. I always recommend this regime to anyone that I visit.

G

dazza39 11:06 16 Feb 05

Gandalf "debbiedoesdallas",lol,:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…