Do I Need Ad-Aware?

hawthorn59 10:03 17 May 10

Hi folks

I have a fairly new laptop with Win 7; I also have Microsoft Security Essentials which seems to be doing it's job. Therefore do I need Ad-Aware? I've downloaded and installed it but immediately Windows Live mail couldnt connect but then it was ok a few minutes later. Not sure if the 2 are connected.
Is MSE enough?

thanks

h

onthelimit 10:13 17 May 10

MSE is great. However, a lot of people prefer to have Malwarebytes as well. The only nono, is not to add an additional anti virus.

steve263000 10:14 17 May 10

Ad-aware and Mal-aware, get all you can. They won't harm and will keep you clean. I use this for Mal-aware click here and it does a great job. You need that for sure.

johndrew 10:24 17 May 10

I guess you are finding Ad-Aware a bit of a pain as I did. It used to be good but when it was updated it started causing me problems.

To answer your question. There are other options which you could install which will provide additional security and which may cover the bits of malware which may otherwise get through. To my knowledge there is no single package which will cover all possible loopholes.

I would suggest you consider something like SpywareBlaster (free) click here which blocks various nasties and is active. You could also use Spybot S&D (free) click here, SuperAntiSpyware (free) click here or Malwarebytes (free) click here all of which you can run to scan your system for anything that may have got through.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:33 17 May 10

Adaware tends to be a bit hit and miss and resource hungry just lately.

For Win 7 or Vista all you need is
MSE
Spywareblaster as a blocker
Malwarebytes or Superantispyware to check for anything MSE might miss.

XP s fine with the above but also requires a decent firewall as its own firewall is one way (incomming) only

interzone55 16:39 17 May 10

I've not had any software like this for years.

Google Chrome browser
Avast 5 for anti-virus
Windows firewall
Windows Defender

Not had a virus of malware attack for about 7 years

hawthorn59 04:03 18 May 10

Well Im very happy with MSE, I have Windows Defender, firewall, so maybe I'll lose Ad-Aware and add Malwarebytes or the like.

Thanks all!

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…