Do I have a virus?

My pc crashes when I plug in my cable modem.

If I leave the modem unconnected, I can get to the desktop but when I run the mouse over the taskbar/start button, it turns to the egg-timer and I can't access any programs.

I can access the programs via the desktop icons, so I ran Spybot Search and Destroy - it has found 23 "problems".

When I click "fix" the pc crashes with a message "Windows has found a problem and is closing to save any damage to the pc".

Do I have a virus in my machine and any ideas how to sort it.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Diodorus Siculus 18:11 06 Nov 06

Try starting in safe mode and see if all is well

Restart PC and press F8 until you get a menu; from there choose safe mode.

It may be possible to runSpybot in safe mode.

postie24 18:16 06 Nov 06

Also try, start run,type in sfc /scannow.Have your xp disc handy incase any faults turn up.Also try a defrag.Try Diodorus siculus,s option 1st

birdface 18:20 06 Nov 06

Update all your anti-virus and spyware Programs, Go into safe mode and run the on there.Hope you have more than Spybot on your on your computer.

postie24 18:29 06 Nov 06

What anti virus & spyware progs are you running apart from spybot?

Thanks for the help guys - I'll try these later.

Because my modem automatically crashes my machine, i'm having to work late to use my office pc.

But postie24, how do I get to start/run etc if the mouse turns to the egg timer when placed over the "start" button - sorry if that is such a dumbass question (I should be in the beginner forum!)

Cheers

postie24 18:39 06 Nov 06

Hi jambo19,sorry i meant try the other replies 1st and if that lets you access pc again,try what i suggested after to check for any other faults you may have

Postie24

I only use spybot and ad-aware - please don't laugh as they have both served me well for the last 21/2 years and I've never had any problems. My daughter used the pc last week and this is where the problem originated.

postie24 18:41 06 Nov 06

Have you no anti virus installed ?

(a rather sheepish) no

VoG II 18:43 06 Nov 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…