Do I have to use Visual C Sharp?

splinternet 12:57 03 Nov 04

I'm trying to understand the significance of my clients request for us to use Visual Studio for website design/build work. I believe this is part of the Microsoft .net umbrella. They say we must use C Sharp to produce asp.net pages.

The actual site is very simple- just information pages and an enquiry page. We will want to pass name/ address info to their admin/ call centre database and other site visitor details. That's all.

We can produce asp pages. Should that be good enough not to inconvenience their computer techies?

Any insight much appreciated

Forum Editor 18:16 03 Nov 04

are some asp pages, with data transfers to their own databases I can't quite understand their insistence that you use VisualStudio.net either - it does seem like the proverbial sledgehammer and nut scenario to me.

VS.net is far from cheap, and I can find no way to justify spending almost £800 (for the Pro version, which is what I use) for a single website project, just because a client's IT department has taken a fancy to the software.

Taran 12:08 04 Nov 04

I'd imagine that if the only dynamic part of the site you will be working on is a contact/equiry page then the suggestion to use C Sharp is possibly overgunning things just a bit.

Standard ASP pages are usually VBScript. You can use JScript but I've not really come across any convincing argument to make me want to on a large scale.

Their database will more than likely be MS SQL and if you will be communicating directly to it by posting your enquiry form results into the database then I see no real need to absolutely insist on C Sharp, depending of course on the database connection.

You could ask whether standard ASP VBScript would suffice on the basis that it will be the only page that requires a database connection and for this it is perfectly adequate. Depending on the connection type and the target database, you could even offer a standalone ASP to Access/MS SQL site and their main application could link into and communicate with it. I'm not suggesting that a standalone database is necessarily ideal solution, but it does have a lot in its favour in the right context and environment.

Like Forum Editor I see no need to overgun yourself in the software stakes when only one of your pages is going to have to do any dynamic work. It seems overkill to the extreme, but then I don't know all the details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…