Do I have usb 2.0 installed??

Keithrow 23:05 05 Sep 03

I used to have evidence in 'device manager' that I had usb 2.0 available on my system, ASUS A7N8X2.0 motherboard with XP home and service pack 1 installed.
Since having to re-install XP as a result of a virus, which wiped out my restore points, I seem to have lost 'other devices' in device manager. According to the m/b cd, this is required to enable usb 2.0.
In device manager I have these settings under Universal Serial Bus Controllers
1* standard enhanced pci to usb host controller and
2* standard openHCD usb host controller
with 3* usb root hub
I'm possitive that before my virus, it mentioned usb 2.0 in usb controllers and now it doesn't.
My m/b should be able to support 6* usb 2.0 devices but I don't think my system is set up correctly.
I really don't understand any of this so simple advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Keith

Djohn 23:13 05 Sep 03

Have you re-installed service pack 1, or is it part of the XP CD you have anyway? It needs to be on to recognise USB2. j.

Keithrow 23:21 05 Sep 03

I downloaded service pack 1 from the m/s web site.
In 'general', control panel, system, it says XP home edition version 2002, service pack 1.

Djohn 23:35 05 Sep 03

That will rule out the theory I had then! XP with SP1 will/should recognise USB2 and show it in device manager under usbc as you say. But I have just had a look in my "Device manager" I have 10 ports, 8 of them USB2, all are listed as USB. No indication of speed is given. j.

Keithrow 23:58 05 Sep 03

I should have 6 usb ports available but are shown as 3 * usb root hubs and 3* host controllers. Is this just the 3 ports or are they just different ways of saying the same thing, i.e. 6 ports alltogether?
Also, I believe that the 'enhanced' PCI to usb host controller reflects that it is usb 2.0. If this is so, does this mean that the 'standard' usb controllers are usb 1.1?
Thanks for your help Djohn, it is much appreciated.
Keith

The Sack 00:03 06 Sep 03

*standard enhanced pci to usb host controller* is the USB2 controller, also 3 usb root hubs and 3 host contollers have 2 ports each which give you the 6 you have.

Djohn 00:08 06 Sep 03

From the little I know on this subject and from looking at my own listings, I would say that you are correct In saying:

"i.e. 6 ports alltogether? Also, I believe that the 'enhanced' PCI to usb host controller reflects that it is usb 2.0".

Others will correct me on this though if I have made a mistake. Regards j.

Djohn 00:09 06 Sep 03

Many thanks, I posted before doing a refresh and missed your reply. j.

Keithrow 00:23 06 Sep 03

So, if 'standard enhanced pci to usb host controller' is usb 2.0, does this mean that the other ports, both 'standard openhcd usb host controllers', are not usb 2.0?
If this is so, how do I change then to usb 2.0?
Thanks for your input The Sack and once again Djohn.

Djohn 00:36 06 Sep 03

Not realy sure on this one and just a guess! Is your system made up of 2 USB connectors on the board and 4 from a PCI card? If so, then I would say yes, they are all USB2. But once again others will confirm. Regards. j.

JIM 00:59 06 Sep 03

This was written before i saw the replies,sorry i was late.You board?.

Back Panel I/O Ports 1 x Parallel

1 x Serial

1 x PS/2 Keyboard

1 x PS/2 Mouse

1 x Audio I/O

4 x USB 2.0 you supplier likely added 2 more?

Internal I/O Connectors 1 x USB 2.0 connector support additional 2 USB 2.0 ports Industrial Standard PCI 2.2, USB 2.0

as Djohn has said,confirmed below. Do go to System's information via the start,programs,accessories,systems tools,then open up the components tab,go to USB which should confirm or not that you have the following VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller or similar.

--------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Win XP USB 2.0 drivers are included in Service Pack 1.

The final release version of the Microsoft USB 2.0 drivers for Windows XP is available at the Windows Update Site. The driver is designated Microsoft USB Driver Version 5.1.2600.0. USB 2.0 Drivers are included in Service Pack 1.

You can get them from the MS site by going to

click here

Microsoft in its infinite wisdom has made it impossible for end-users to download the individual driver package of USB 2.0 drivers for Windows XP. If you need the USB 2.0 drivers, MS now requires you to download and install Service Pack 1. This is the only way to get the drivers from Microsoft who promised USB 2.0 support to everyone who purchased Windows XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…