Do I have a RAM problem ?

Paul33 16:08 06 Feb 08

I've been having unusual problems with my XP Home machine. It occasionally crashes when under nothing more than moderate strain (couple of programs running) and it seems to make hard work of most tasks.

I ran the WINDIAG RAM diagnostic tool from boot up and it failed at the STRIDE6 test and then froze.

Can somebody tell me what that means and what the cause might be ?

I have two 512kb RAM sticks in place, which is the maximum for the machine. They've been there for several months.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 06 Feb 08

Run the test with only one stick of ram and then swap over to find which stick is causing the problem.

johndrew 17:00 06 Feb 08

The problem could result from number of things:

Have you checked the temperatures of CPU, Motherboard, etc., and whether fans are running correctly? You can use Everest Home (Free) to do this. click here

Do your RAM modules need re-seating?

Have you tried using MemTest to check your RAM? It is recognised as a good, reliable tool. click here

I`m not certain what caused the other test to freeze, but using MemTest will give a second opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…