Do I have IDE, ATA, etc?

brianhensley 20:21 22 Dec 05

I want to fit a new hard drive to my PC, currently got 20GB. I am running XP - how do I find out what type of hard drive I have please?

Totally-braindead 20:40 22 Dec 05

Unless its a new, ie bought in the last 6 months, it will have a IDE hard drive, you can double check by looking under hardware in system under control panel but its not really necessary I can almost guarantee it will be an IDE drive like these. click here

PaulB2005 20:44 22 Dec 05

Look inside. If it has a thick grey cable or a coloured round cable with a wide end on it like click here or click here then it's IDE

If it has thin cable like click here it's SATA.

Totally-braindead 20:57 22 Dec 05

PaulB2005 is right, the way he describes is the simplest way to be sure.

ade.h 21:22 22 Dec 05

If you can't easily get to the case, download and run Everest click here. This is from Lavalys, but is no longer on the official site.

PaulB2005 22:23 22 Dec 05

Not being funny but if you can't easily get into the case the it'll be a job to install another hard drive.

ade.h 22:40 22 Dec 05

If he can't easily get to the case, he won't want to do it twice, will he?!

I don't like heaving my very large, heavy case from under my desk any more than is absolutely necessary.

PaulB2005 06:40 23 Dec 05

Again not being funny but also probably worth checking that there is an IDE connection available (some PCs came with single IDE channel cables) and that there is space for the drive too.

Preparation is the key to succes....

ade.h 14:45 23 Dec 05

Everest will help with that by giving info about the motherboard. Further details can then be found on the manufacturer's website if required.

I suppose I am speaking from the position of being totally familiar with all the components in my PCs, but then, I did build them!

Room in the case shouldn't be an issue at all though; unless he/she has an SFF case or a Media Centre case of some kind.

ade.h 14:45 23 Dec 05

How have you got on so far?

brianhensley 14:15 24 Dec 05

Thanks for all your help everyone - I have IDE.

But in finding this out I have discovered all of the internals of my PC are covered in dust. How do I clean it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…