Do I have a faulty monitor?

Ade_1 20:57 02 Sep 06

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a solution for my monitor problem...

My monitor is making very high pitched noises. At first I thought it was my ears however when I turn the monitor off the high pitched noise goes and when I turn the monitor on the high pitched noise appears.
I have changed the refresh rate a number of times and this hasnt made a difference.
I have a Dell E773c.

The noises will sometimes appear alot however sometimes it hardly happens.

There may be a simple solution to this so if there is one it woudl be great to hear it.

Thanks in advance

Aidan

woodchip 21:01 02 Sep 06

Is this a Crt Monitor or a Flat Screen. As it sounds like the flyback transformer in a Crt monitor

Ade_1 21:06 02 Sep 06

Its a CRT

Ade_1 21:06 02 Sep 06

Its a CRT

woodchip 21:20 02 Sep 06

Then it is what I said above. You need plugs in your hears. It would have to be loud for me as I have Hearing aid. I would have heard it in the past as I used to dabble with TV's. It could last for some time but can be an irritant for sensitive hears

Ade_1 21:28 02 Sep 06

Yes, very irritating.

Is there anyway of fixing it, or will I end up buying a new monitor?

Thanks

Aidan

woodchip 23:34 02 Sep 06

No only a new monitor as the cost would not justify repairs

Simsy 06:32 03 Sep 06

"percussive" maintenance can sometimes work.

That means a GENTLE wallop on the unit.

Basically, what woodchip is refering to is the mechanics of the transformer. They are not mechanical devices, but they do have laminated insulation. Sometimes, over a period of time, thermal stresses can cause the lamination to slightly deform...

The resultant high pitched whistle you hear is caused by a mechanical resonance being set up by the various electromagnetic gubbins that is knocking about.

Realisticlly, given the cost of monitors, repair isn't likely to be cost effective. A gentle tap might prove efficatious!

Good luck.

Regards,

Simsy

Ade_1 10:38 03 Sep 06

I shall try your remedy Simsy.

Thanks very much both of you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…